Opteron System Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigredx24x

Baseband Member
Hopefully you guys enjoy questions, because I got a lot of them, but I will start with just these few...

The motherboard I have chosen for my new computer is the Tyan Thunder K8WE (~$417) for a dual opteron system. Now, at first I was considering buying two opteron 248 (~2 x $248) processors, but then I thought I could better future proof my computer buy buying one AMD 4400 dual core (~$490). This way, I could purchase an additional dual core chip later to upgrade.

My questions is this...

1) Is it possible to only install one dual core chip on this board and have it run?

2) Do you suggest going with the dual core or the 2 opterons?

3) Any additional info/suggestions about my motherboard choice are welcome.

Thanks,
bigred

what are you using your computer for?
how long before you plan on upgrading again?
have you picked out other parts yet (gpu,psu,ram)?

the opteron 200 series CPU's are socket 940. the Athlon 64 X2's are socket 939

and your motherboard is a socket 940 board, so an Athlon 64 X2 won't work. the only Athlon 64's in socket 940 are the FX-51's and some FX-53's.

dRgreen said:
what are you using your computer for?
how long before you plan on upgrading again?
have you picked out other parts yet (gpu,psu,ram)?

I will be using the computer for some coding, running MATLAB, watching DVDs possibly. Little to no gaming - not a big gamer. The occasional photo editing in Photoshop. I do multitask a lot and I hate when the computer lags when I have a lot of things running.

It will probably be a few years before I upgrade I imagine, unless there is a desperate need before hand. Right now all I have is a Dell Inspiron 8000 with a p3 900 mhz, 5 years old.

The following is one possible setup I had...
Motherboard Tyan Thunder k8we $417.00
Processor AMD 4400 x2 dUal $490.00
Processor Fan
Hard Drive Maxtor 250gb 7200 $88.00
Memory (2) 512 Crucial $127.98
Video Card Radeon 9600xt $79.00
Sound Card
CD-Drive #1 Plextor 740a black $55.00
CD-Drive #2 Sony DVD-ROM $22.00
Floppy N/A w/ case
Power Supply Included w/ case
Monitor
Case Antec Titan 550 $171.00

apokalipse said:
the opteron 200 series CPU's are socket 940. the Athlon 64 X2's are socket 939

Ok, thank you, I had overlooked that. Can you run an Opteron 2xx by itself, then add an additional one later? Or, do they have to be installed simulataneously?

and your motherboard is a socket 940 board, so an Athlon 64 X2 won't work. the only Athlon 64's in socket 940 are the FX-51's and some FX-53's.

K, I'll take a look into those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom