What does five beeps mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janwar1500

Solid State Member
I try to boot but i get five beeps and "no signal" on the monitor. Any clue what this means and how I could fix it? Thanks

don't give up on the CPU just yet. make sure everything is plugged in right, and remove everything except the essentials.
it could even be the motherboard that's at fault.

Pull the CPU, Reseat it, Clean the surface of the cpu of old thermal paste, put on new thermal paste and make sure the heat sinc fan is turning. Plug in one stick of memory and the video card and then attempt to boot. Pay careful attention to the LED lights on the keyboard....do they blink during the rapid boot of the bios (POST)? Does the CPU fan spin? Don't just assume it's the CPU. It could be the power supply. If the ATX connector voltage is low enough the bios will read the error as the CPU and you'll have a dead system issue to trouble shoot. I have seen people rebuild entire systems because they didn't do the basic and simple trouble shooting for a "dead" system. Tell me what happens when you attempt the CPU/video card/memory boot.

Edit: What mobo model and manufacturer? We need to know the Bios (AMI, Award, Phoenix etc. The codes are different for each.)

DRAM refresh failure. There is a problem in the system memory or the motherboard. 1 Beep.

Anyone tell me what this means, My machine does one beep during the POST, although everything runs fine while playing, although I did think it may of been running somewhat sluggish, what do you guys think?

Josh...1 short beep at POST = Good!!! That is just your mobo bios telling the internal speaker to tell you that it feels great!!!

Thanks lol, was slightly worried there was something wrong with it heh.

I assume if there was a problem with the Dram refresh it would not boot up so just the fact the computer boots and runs shows me its working fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom