Overclocking Athlon 2800+

Status
Not open for further replies.

magouster

Daemon Poster
Hey Peeps,

I'm currently OC'ing my Athlon XP 2800+ to 2.1Ghz(Athlon XP 3000+), but would like to push it up to at least 2.2Ghz, if not more.

It runs stable at 2.1Ghz, with a FSB of 200 and a multiplyer of 10.5, but when I change the multiplyer to 11, it loads Windows, stays on for a minute, and then reboots.

The CPU runs at about 50C idle at 2.2Ghz, and I've got the CPU Voltage at 1.8.

What am I doing wrong? I've seen guys on the forum that overclock their Athlon XP 2500+ at 2.3Ghz, so I know it should be possible to OC my rig.

Please help!

Thanks

50c for idle is way to much. Should be in the 30s-40s. You will need better cooling.

why so high on voltage? will cause a lot of extra heat.if you had to up the voltage just to get to 2.1 it may well be the chips max oc. not all chips oc alike

whew, I would do a little more research before you go throwing voltage around like that. You don't need to fry anything and learn the hard way. CPU's like that are starting to cost a lot of money so I'd try to be gentle with it and ease it into an overclock.

You definately need better cooling if you're idling at 50*C. Consider getting more case fans.

Ryan

The Athlon XPs can take some brutal voltage with proper cooling.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
whew, I would do a little more research before you go throwing voltage around like that. You don't need to fry anything and learn the hard way. CPU's like that are starting to cost a lot of money so I'd try to be gentle with it and ease it into an overclock.

You definately need better cooling if you're idling at 50*C. Consider getting more case fans.

Ryan
yah 003 is right i remember reading one of garras post to a similar situation he said it can take 2.0 v with the proper cooling

boys, I know they can take voltage, but if you're upping vcore by .2 volts blindly, you aren't overclocking safely.

Ryan

Thanks guys. I've lowered the voltage to 1.7, and it is still stable at 2.1Ghz. And Idle temp is down to 40C.

But safety aside, and lets say I get better cooling, how would I go about OCing this? Oh yeah, with regards to temp, what monitoring program is good? I got one with the Mobo, but the reading on that one was always 5C lower than the one in the BIOS. Which one should I believe?

Trust your BIOS overall. Just remember if your mobo temp sensor is messed up/damaged, even your BIOS can be wrong.

Speedfan is my favorite monitoring program.

For best results, you'll want a higher FSB and lower multi. Instead of 200*12, you want 240*10 to get 2.4GHz (just an example). If your mobo/RAM can't run that high of a FSB, then that's going to be your bottleneck. Always try to run as little voltage aspossible to get it stable, running more than necessary for a safety net really isn't necessary unless you're having fluctuation issues with voltages/PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom