Sempron 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Ok simple question.

If a board is listed as socket 754 athlon64/sempron does that also mean that a sempron 64 will work on the same board ?

I'm a little confused cause i noticed newegg has a lot of sempron 64 processors but i dont really see any boards that specifically state that they need sempron 64's. They either say sempron or athlon 64, or both, but not sempron 64.

Thanks!

If it's a socket 754 Sempron and a socket 754 motherboard, they'll go together. Do not fret. They're compatible.

Ryan

the Sempron 64's may need a BIOS update if you want to use it as a 64-bit processor, depending on the mtoherboard.
the Sempron 64's are relatively new to socket 754

Just because the socket on the motherboard matches the socket of the CPU doesn't necessarily mean they will work, the motherboard must match the CPU type of model as well.

no, the thing is that the Sempron 64 is a crippled Athlon 64. They're the same thing minus 50% of the L2 cache. If for some reason it doesn't work, it's nothing a updated bios flash couldn't fix.

Ryan

Hmm. Interesting. Mixed answers. Go check out newegg's site and you'll see a whole lot of sempron 64's (754 sockets) and not a single 754 board that they have actually states "Sempron 64".

This is making me wonder.

I'm telling you... It's not a big deal... They wouldn't produce the chip if the boards were so few and far between.

Ryan

That seems like a logical answer, Ryan.

Still doesn't make me feel good about the way Newegg has their chips and boards listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom