I'm building a new computer, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hovertime

Baseband Member
Ok I'm new here and I will be building a new computer and have mostly everything figured out. I know a lot about computers but there's a couple of things I need to know. I live in Canada and I will be buying all my parts online but the question is where? First I will show what my old/current rig specs are:

-Intel 266 Mhz Celeron with 0 Kb of L2 cashe
-128 MB of SDRAM (DIMM) (used to be 32 MB before upgrade lol)
-8 MB ATI Rage Pro Video Card (can't even play games made in the year 2001!!)
-FSB speed - 66 MHz (motherboard is pure crap)
-1 DVD-ROM burner and player
-1 floppy drive
-40 GB hard drive (Used to be 1.5 GB, how sad is that?)
-Sound Blaster Card
-2 USB ports
-Dial-up Modem and a 10/100 high speed modem
-Intel motherboard that is unknown but is slow and old with 2 ISA slots and 4 PCI slots
-Power supply unit is unknown
-Computer screen is a Compaq S710

Now that is what I have right now and this is what I will be getting:

-$169 for AMD CPU 3200+
-$67 for CORSAIR VALUE SELECT VS1GBKIT533D2 1GB KIT (512MB x 2) PC24200 533MHZ CL4 240-PIN DDR2 DIMM
-$60 Unknown power supply unit
-$195 For Geforce 6800 GS eVGA 256-P2-N386 GEFORCE 6800GS 256MB PCIE GDDR3 w/HDTV & DVI
-$70-$90 For unknown motherboard

TOTAL is $571 for this but I have $750 in total and remember the prices above are USD and not CAD. I will not be getting rid of my Case unless I really need to. The question is should I get a better video card or a better CPU or a new Hard Drive that is like 200 GB in size? The other question is where should I buy my parts from? I was thinking Mwave.com but that's a US site right?

I will be gaming with this computer and I think I know what motherboard to use but that could change. I want a motherboard that has support for both PCI-E and AGP and socket 939 for AMD. I also want this computer to be upgradeble for the future like a way better video card and such.

This is a lot of thinking here and I need some help. Thank you for helping.

To better future proof you new computer I would go with a dual core CPU but.The only ram you can get 184pin ddr.Intel only supports DDr2 240pin ram.Not that I know of that there is a mobo that supports both AGP and PCI-e x16 or do you mean PCi-e x1.Most to all mobo have at least one Pci-e x1.Ocz or g-skill is very good ram 2gb or 1gb.I disaprove HAXtor HD's.Good GFX card that you picked.Get at least 500watt psu, Thermaltake make good cases and power supplys.

You can't use that RAM with AMD yet. Also your graphics card is just dandy, it will treat you well. I am not aware of any motherboards that support PCI-E x16 and AGP. Why do you want to have AGP anyway? The PCI-E x16 is the best and brightest for video cards.

ye looks good, id get a maxtor, i havent had any problems with mine & since seagate bought them out grab the stuff while you can. what about an antec case, come with an adequate antec PSU, dont listen to this 550 watt stuff people go on about here, unless you use all that all you are doing is heating up your case, all that energy goes somewhere aka heat, aim for 400-450 watts

Everything I have heard so far doesn't sound like good advice because there is a motherboard that has both PCI-E and AGP out there. It's called the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard and that is maybe the motherboard i'm using. Also I don't need to future proof my computer right now but I want it to be upgradeble later on.

My 40 GB Hard Drive is a Maxtor but if I get a new hd then it will be a different company name. Nothing is wrong with Maxtor but I don't feel 100% good with one. I heard a lot of storys about it.

I know that RAM doesn't work with my cpu but can someone find me the best RAM for it? I will not be getting a dual core cpu because I don't muilt-task very often and to much $$$. Thanks for helping though everyone so far.

Can someone else help please?

what is your price range for ram.Look on Newegg since you know what knid you need bet you'll find it.I would suggest 1gb and no less.

Hovertime said:
Everything I have heard so far doesn't sound like good advice because there is a motherboard that has both PCI-E and AGP out there. It's called the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard and that is maybe the motherboard i'm using. Also I don't need to future proof my computer right now but I want it to be upgradeble later on.

Futureproofing is the act of trying to anticipate future developments and taking action to minimise possible negative consequences.

So if you futureproof your next build, you won't have to worry about being unable to upgrade in the future..

Well, the two questions you asked:
1.) www.ncix.com

2.) Judging from your current specs, i'd pretty much say you'll need almost everything, if you're interested in playing newer games.

AMD 3200+ / MSI, DFI or ASUS 939 mobo / At least a 1Gig of value ram / Nvidia 6800GS / Antec 400w PSU / 250GiG seagate SATA HDD / may-be a new case... / Operating system

As far as you wanting to have a 939 mobo with both AGP and PCI-express support? I could see if you already had a decent AGP videocard and wanted to hold off on PCI-express for a while. PCI-express is the future. Your idea of having both support is silly, in your situation.

You said, "I know a lot about computers, but i really don't think you do." sorry...

the motherboard in question from asrock has the uli chipset if i remember correctly. reviews said it works but it does lose it somewhat in performance. get an nforce4 mobo and save yourself some headaches.pci=e is also best for gaming no need for agp anymore. hope it helps

Well the reason why I'm getting both AGP and PCI-E is because if I ever get a future video card that is AGP I'm not srewed. I don't need it 100% but a website said that so I guess only PCI-E is good.

I know all about PCI-E and how it's the future thing so don't say to me I don't know a lot about computers HAVOC2k5. I just want people to give ideas on this.

Now newegg is only in the USA and NCIX I don't know but one big thing is the prices are always so much higher in Canada and I hate that!! The 6800 GS costs $259 in Canada and in the US it costs $189. I did all the math like the Dollar convertion, and tax's and it's still cheaper in the US! Is there another reason why US is so much cheaper? Is it because of dutys? Is it better overall to get my parts from Canada?

My price range for RAM is $80-$100 and I want 1 GB at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom