CDRW change out

Status
Not open for further replies.

olopbob

Baseband Member
My CD-RW has given up on burning and I was going to replace it with a DVD-RW burner anyway. I have two questions.

1. Can you recommend a moderately priced replacement (Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R, 4X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-RW, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW ? I've looked at Sony, Asus, and Optorite. I usually use NewEgg but am open to other vendors.

2. I can open my case and do minor operations. Is there much more involved than pulling CD and installing DVD burner then reconnecting with same cable and installing software?

Thanks, I have a hardware phobia, I've already burned up a processor which led to other failures, but some success, but at the price don't want to chance getting into something I can't handle.

1. I would recommend maybe a plextor. I have a plextor cd-r and i love it! Dont go with hp! i have a hp dvd-r and im on the phone with thier tech support at least 1nce a week with those bastards. I need to get a new one.

2. Yes, it is that simple. Just make sure the jumpers are set correctly.

I checked out Plextor and they're priced highest I've seen. I was going to go Sony but have seen a couple bad reviews. The fastest for price was Optorite at NewEgg but I've never heard of them. They only make CD-DVD drives. Anyone have any knowledge of them.

i would reccomend the new Pioneer 107 as it is 8x + and -

i am saving up for one at the mo, but my friend has one and says it is great...

i suppose it all depends on your price range!

I've narrowed my choices to these two:

Both these units were DVD+/- but I'll list just list +, - is half speed I was looking at:
ASUS, 4x DVD+ OEM refurbished barebone (no accs.) or
ASUS, 4x DVD+ New in box - strap, power cable, driver disk, 2 blank disk(1CD, 1DVD) with Movie factory burning software.
$30.00 difference but I think I would choose new + accs. over refurbish

LG, 8x DVD+ OEM also 3x DVD RAM new barebone (no accs.)
LG, 8x DVD+ also 3x DVD RAM New in box - strap, power cable, driver disk, Movie factory burning software.
$19.00 difference but again I choose retail for accs.
I checked out LG, Korean but good reviews (known for cell phones) $19.00 difference but if you need burning software?

Only $1.00 difference in new price between the two.
I believe retail is the better buy over OEM but your the experts.
Well, time to weigh in, what's your opinion?

We think alike. I always check those sites first especially pricewatch who have led me to most of my hardware needs.
NewEgg with it's free shipping won the price comparison for the drive I decided on.
LG Electronics DVD+/-RW Mulitformat Drive, MOdel GSA-4081B,
Specifications:
Write Speed: 24X CD-R, 16X CD-RW, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R, 4X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-RW, 3X DVD-RAM
Read Speed: 32X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM, 3X DVD-RAM
$126.00 total
LG is known for phones but this drive got great reveiws and the 3X DVD-RAM put it on top.
Now I just need to decide on media, would try + and - but it's hard to pass up the lower prices on 10+ bundles. Any ideas on which to choose since they are about the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom