Profanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Fully Optimized
I've been asked by several people about profanity here, hence, this thread.

First of all, Tech-Forums is doing some clean up. We will be starting a NO PROFANITY policy in the near future. The profanity filters have been populated and will continue to be populated. So, you will see the asterisks instead of the profanity. We're moving in that direction now.

Please do not use the following words:

Okay, that was just a little levity.

What is profanity?

Though your common language with your friends might make just about anything acceptable, it is not acceptable here. It's really hard to define profanity except to say that it's words that are not generally acceptable in ALL conversations with all groups of people. Figure the place where you wouldn't use any profanity, and then make your replies here like it would be there.

Profanity is an ignorant person's way of being emphatic.

I'm sure that everyone here is intelligent enough to be able to choose different adjectives to be emphatic. That's what we're counting on with the membership. You can master a computer's most intricate concepts and workings, you can master the proper adjectives.

Bypassing, or trying to bypass the filters by spelling out the word except for one letter (or two) is not acceptable. If you're smart enough to do that, then you're smart enough to choose a different adjective. Type in your own asterisks if you want. Type in characters like #%@#%. Don't type in the l334 versions or non-English versions.

There might be a couple that want to play games with this decision and upcoming rules. Please don't do that and cause problems. If you really like this community, be a contributor and not a rebel.

This thread is left open for your comments and suggestions. However, it is not open to allow profanity.

Thanks for your cooperation in making Tech-Forums a better place. Please note that this is another step in preparation for TF2.

Dave :D

i wanna post what im thinking If i wanna post ****ing *****es, i assume its up to your word filters to star it. You decide what allowed on your forums, so i can post ****ing *****es as is w/o repercussions, correct?

DMo224 said:

There might be a couple that want to play games with this decision and upcoming rules. Please don't do that and cause problems. If you really like this community, be a contributor and not a rebel.

This thread is left open for your comments and suggestions. However, it is not open to allow profanity.

csamuels said:
i wanna post what im thinking If i wanna post ****ing *****es, i assume its up to your word filters to star it. You decide what allowed on your forums, so i can post ****ing *****es as is w/o repercussions, correct?
Shawn's answer was a good one.

The assumption that the word filters are responsible to catch everything is NOT a good assumption. The poster is responsible for what they type. So if for some reason the profanity filter does not catch some profanity, the poster will be held responsible, with whatever repercussions are deemed necessary.

Dave :D

And on another note, being a member here isn't a right...it's a privelege. Whether you see it as being one or not is your problem.

Personally I think you are going Overboard here:

I recently replyed to A thead and I reccomended **** Small Linux, I came back to the thead and it was starred out I mean c'mon guys that is the name of the Distro. I was not trying to be emphatic just typing in the Name of A distro, Fair eough people using the 'F word' and other language is disgusting and should not be tollarated but the term '****'? C'mon guys I was using it in context. After all it is A Ligit Linux Distro.

Just my 2c,

Jake

Legit or not, it doesn't matter.

Filters are not intelligent, but neither are the idiots who keep making us use the filters.

Sort of a catch-22.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom