Help with new mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixDeCat

Beta member
I just replaced my friends MOBO ( his old one was stuffed and brownstuff was commin out of the little tube things) i bought the same socet type as his old one and made sure it was compatable with his ram ( 1 stick of 512 DDR and 1 stick of 256 DDR)

After replaceing his mobo the computer turns on till it trys to boot windows it gets to the screen that says choose from safe mode safe mode with comandpromt blaa blaa blaa... when ever you try to choose one of these options it just resets and starts booting again

i have double cheacked that i put the mobo in right ( ive made a few comps from scratch so i know how to do it )

I made sure the ram was ok by running it in my comp i even just tryed runnin eash of them seperatly in his comp

I tryed my PSU is his comp to make sure it wasnt a power supply problem but it still did the same thing

I tryed formatting his comp with an XP disk but it just freezes in the blue set up screen and i have to pull the power

i tryed it with my HDD but it didnt even get to screen to choose how windows boots up

im totaly stumped it should just work but it wont =( any help would be greatly appreciated

THX

Too many things going on at once there.

You replaced the motherboard and are using the old RAM and Processor, correct?

Your best bet would be a reinstall of Windows. You say you trie dreformatting his disk but you get stuck... is that meaning you are stuck with Win trying to install?

Have you tried a different Install CD? If you have Knoppix Live! CD (or can download and burn one), then boot up with that, and punch F2 at the first prompt and run a full test of the memory using memtest86.

If memtest runs clean, then try running knoppix up to the GUI and see if it will work. If it craps out on you, you may gain some insight from the errors that Knoppix spits out.

Youu can't just slap in a mobo and startup windows. You need to do a freah install. The reason it is rebooting is that the driver base is so differnent that windows BSOD's for driver conflicts.

ya after many lockups we fianly installed a fresh copy of windows... we never formatted his HDD cause thier was stuff he wanted on thier we just istalled a new copy onto a differnt HDD and we are loading that one now...

we are just running the comp with 1 like week old stick of 512

now we a new problem

The mobo has clocked the CPU down... cause the mobo has the jumper set at default by 100mhz

when running the mobo like this the comp will run fine but when he tryes to do something like play a game (wow, GW, anything) the comp crapps out on him again and it resets.

if i set the mhz back up to clock his cpu liek it use to run in his old mobo the comp will run even less and powerdown in just windows after liek 2-3 mins

I think its casue of some sort of protection on the mobo but im running a motherbord monitor and the cpu and case arnt getting that hot the cpu sits at like 35c and the case sits at 65c

We are tossing around on just buyin a new cpu but the mobo but i really dont wanna advise him on spending money he dosnt need to.

btw the mobo he just bought was a AsRock K7s41GX

65C for the case? morer likely the processor .sounds like a heat issue did you apply new thermal ,paste to the cpu when you swapped it over? if not clean the chip and heatsink and apply thermal paste as per manufacturers instructions

hummm ill try buying new thermal paste thx for the tip =D

little question much differnce between silicon based thermal paste and silver based?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom