I bought a non SP2 copy of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

miston

Baseband Member
by accident. I'm putting a new desktop together, and realized I didn't get a service pack 2 copy of WinXP, or at least it doesn't say it on it. It says version 2002.

Wouldn't it be better if I installed from scratch XP SP2, than installing the old version AND then patching it?

What should I do? Send it back and buy a SP2 version?

thanks!

download sp2 somewhere (warezmonster has a couple of links. pm him)

download autostreamer and slipstream your xp cd. put your xp cd in the drive. browse to the sp2 download then let autostreamer work. it will make you an xp sp2 iso file that you can burn as a disc image with nero or alcohol 120

Learn how to Slipstreeam here. I also developed a method to slipstream post-Service Pack hotfixes, if you are interested.

A hotfix is a single, cumulative package that includes one or more files that are used to address a problem in a software product. Typically, hotfixes are made to address a specific customer situation and may not be distributed outside the customer organization.

In a Microsoft Windows context, hotfixes are small patches designed to address specific issues, most commonly to freshly discovered security holes. These are small files typically automatically installed on the computer with Windows Update (although some may only able to be obtained via Microsoft Support).

There are a number of third-party software programs to aid in the installation of hotfixes to multiple machines at the same time. These software products also help the administrator by creating a list of installed hotfixes already installed on multiple machines.

Another possible definition: A hotfix is an patch or a change applied to a running program such as server, or other long -unning applications. A possible but unlikely confusion with the definition of interactive programs.

right

but it would be better to install XP with Service Pack 2 from scractch rather than installing XP and THEN patching all the holes afterwards

I slipstreamed XP2 into my XP cd, it was easy as ****

now I just need to add the hotfixes......is there not a simple download link to ALL of the hotfixes? There's like 36 of them

And some of the hotfixes that are listed in this forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=31886

have switches. What do I do with the switches? From the tutorial Dngrsone posted it acts like I just need to download the hotfixes.

I'm on Beginning Users > Step 3: Updating Setup Source with Hotfixes > Installing the hotfixes > Introduction

If I use the first manual method, do I need to add any switches to the command line?

Example:

KB910437 -› Automatic Updates can no longer download updates after an Access Violation error occurs
Download -› 1.13 MB (December 12, 2005)
Switches: KB910437.exe /q /n /z

So for that hotfix I would enter this into the command line:

KB910437.exe /q /n /z /integrate:C:\XPCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom