Help Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it is kind of wasted if you arent going to OC or tweak things yourself. [/B]

That's what I was trying to get at. Friend o mine has one and while I'm amazed he put his own comp together, it was a waste to buy that over a board that could offer similar great quality for a lot less.

ok well im really glad that you guys do good reserch ive done some my self but never realy wanted to get in a forums but now im glad i am ok now my budget is 700 if its a lil over thats kool like 720 but if you guys think that there is a great advantage in somthing that is more expensive and it will last me longer i will save up my money for it.

oh and i will be using it for primarily gaming then i also want to use it for managing media i dont know if i will over clock it or not i herd that if you dont that its throwing performance away but i don't want my cpu to fry up in a week either

Ok, with $700 I'd say build a machine you can use now while you save up for a good GFX card. I'd also suggest starting all over, with a fresh new case and the like.

Mobo- I'd say get one of the new Geforce 6100 mobo's, It has integrated GFX that are as good or better than my Radeon 9200, and I get playable (30-60) framerates at med to low setting is all games. (well havn't tried FEAR yet tho..) Most people don't seem to like Microboards w/ integrated GFX, but there's not really a disadvantage unless you're looking for major expandability or overclocking. Nvidia's G6100 boards are sopposedly doing very well. I just bought one for a friend to play games till he can get a better GFX card, so I think it's a good way to build a budget comp.

I'd suggest this board, it's actually sopposed to have really good OC'ing (overclocking) features.

Biostar s939 G6100 Tforce

The down side to that board is that it only have 2 SATA ports and a megabit lan port instead of a gigabit lan port.
Basicly if you want more than 2 hard drives or really fast speeds when transfering files over a network (gigabit ports don't really help unless you have everything on your router at gigabit speeds, which is unlikely)
If yes, get this board, it also has better sound.

Gigabyte G6100 mobo

Processor- Here's why you should skip out on a top notch GFX card for now, get a dual core processor now and it will last a long time.

I'd suggest getting a regular Athlon x2 3800
Athlon x2 3800

But the Dual core Opteron 165 is a bit cheaper right now...
Opteron 165 There's little out of the box performance difference, but I'd suggest the 3800 because it's more geared to mainstream people.

RAM- I'd say go with a single 1gb stick, so that when upgrading you can just pop another 1gig stick in easy.

Corsair Value 1gb

Hard Drive- Cheapest, 100gb SATA from good brand
Maxtor 100GB SATA HD

DVD Burner

Floppy
You could probably rip one out of your old system, since floppys are rarely used.

Case- Aspire X-Plorer
Comes in a couple more colors, so check it out. Strangely the yellow one is on sale.

PSU- Forton 450watt

That's about $695 (not including shipping or the floppy drive)

You'll also want to buy a legal version of windows XP :)
An OEM version can be about $80-90 for home.
XP home OEM

So it jumps a bit over after adding windows.
I'd say go for that, and you can use the onboard video while you save up for a 6800GS or better yet a 7800GT .
Like I said, I'm not a pro, but I think it's a good way to get a good PC and get it running and then get it really good when the rest of the money's there. Hope that helped a little.

ok well i am getting an inter net that is about the same speed as roadrunner so will that megabit lan thing hold me back or is that for like t1 line the sata this is cool though i dont plan on have a 100 gb filled any time soon but who knows

also both of those mobos don;t have alot of pci slots is that ok i think i see two pci slots one agp and one pci express i know that most video card come in agp and and well how compatible is the pci espress also witch one of those mobos is btter

Ok, first off you really don't need anything more than a megibit port cause it allows for 100megs a second. My internet can go as fast as 15megs a sec (FiOs is sweet) so it's not like your going to be missing out untill we have a major breakthrough and have 100mb internet. Gigabit ports would help at a lan, but really only if they have gigabit router. It's not a major concern unless you'll be networking computers and want super fast.

As for AGP, no you don't want any agp. It's being quickily done away with. Unless you already have a some awsome setup centered around an agp board, don't go near it. Pcie is the new standard.
As for amount of pci slots, this is the down side to a micro board. It really depends on what you'll be doing. I know the most I'll ever put in a desktop comp is a sound card and maybe a TV tuner. Pcie x1 is sort of the replacement for pci, but I've only seen a few scattered cards make use of it so far. Pci x16 is for the graphics cards.

The other issue is that some graphics cards come with a 2slot cooler, basicly what the means is that the card takes up one slot, and the slot below that.
A micro board can very helpful, but it does limit you expansion wise.
I'd say go with the Gigabyte if you feel like doing this.
Like I said, the whole get a good board w/ onboard gfx and save up for a really good graphics card worked for me, but It might be a pain to some people.

ok well im pretty seriose and i don;t want to replace the mother board cuz that sounds like a pain so maybe you could recomend some non micro boards that are compatible with everything else you recomended by the way i am really thinkin of bying everything you told me to the case is sweet thats alot of power from a cpu the ram is nice as with the hard drive and the dvd burner i just want to make sure that all that stuff is compatible with eachother cuz i don;t want to buy somthing and have it not work with another somthing

for this whole get a motherboard with biult in graphics will that slow down my computer to a crawl or will that just make the graphics a lil worse i would like to play games with the system i build from the get go but i also like what your saying on the whole save up for a decent graphics card to make it better. i just don;t like to be limited thats why im biulding a system now cuz i cant buy any game i want cuz my old system its to sucky. so i guess what im saying is if i can knock down more limitaions wil more money i will save and buy a better one. but if what your saying is good enough for like WOW and CIVIlazation 4 and rome total war then lets stick with the original plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom