oc attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

macombaland

In Runtime
i tried to do some minimal ocing yesterday by setting my cpu at 206x9 and it wouldnt even boot. I dont know much about ocing but i thought i could at least achieve this low overclock with all other settings on default.

well this means that your memory needs voltage. i think your running pc3200 and unless you didnt use a devider then that would have thrown your memory to
412mhz effective, and it didnt do it on those timmings nor the voltage you are using. so i suggest finding dimm v in your bios, and raising it a little bit, remeber this 3.5v will not fry anything. so dont worry, im sure yours is proubly like 2.6-2.7, if it wasnt your memory then it should have booted because i hear opterons are hitting like 2.7ghz on stock voltage sometimes lol. so you proubly want to put your memory to like 3.2v and run it like that all the time lol. and your v core to like 1.4v and start raising the fsb oh yea and you must turn your hyper transport from4x to 3x, remeber you must run 3x for any overclocking.

Ok I tried raising the ram voltage to about 3v. Raised the HTT to only 207 with a multiplier of 9. Still no startup. I have been checking out ram voltages of other opteron users and none are over 3v. It still doesnt make sense to me that i cannot make such a small jump.

Overclockers id reall appreciate some input..i dont want to screw up my whole setup!

I would say just set a mem divider like 1:2 and see how high your CPU will go. Then switch it and see how high your ram will go. Then once you know those things you can use a small divider so that you can get as close as possible to your max CPU and max RAM

Try using a RAM divider, losen up the timings a bit if you don't, and 2.8V should be enough for your RAM if it isn't something like Bh-5 or w/e it's called. Also try upping the Vcore slightly for the cpu, VERY SLIGHTLY!!!!

1: Use a RAM divider. (Or loosen up the timings, it would help if we knew what kind of ram your using, and 2.8V for the RAM should be enough, but 2.9 is the highest I would ever go with RAM unless it needs it.)
2: Up the Vcore slightly, like 0.25% at the most is what I would say.
3: Try upping by increments of 3, because stock being 200*9 = 1800Mhz, and 206*9 = 1854Mhz, might just wanna take it a little slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom