Got a dell comp. can i buy a new mob and OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Bomb

Solid State Member
Hey I just bought a Dell computer used out of the classifieds and of course being factory built I cant over clock through BIOS so I was wondering if there is a compatible aftermarket mother board and I get that would I then be able to overclock. And is there any motherboard that you guys would recommend that can work with a P4 processor and whatever ram dell uses (SDRAM i think)
Thanks

well you can find your motherboard model and flash its bios to the non dell version lol unless its a dell motherboard. but a friend of mine had a dell and it had an asus motherboard. so it should work.

Ya you can buy a new mobo, but then you have to buy a new case, and psu, because dells cases and psu are propiatary to their cases, you cant put another mobo in a dell case, and a dell PSU arent normal atx powersupplys, because they change the shape of them.

So you have to get new mobo, psu(power supply unit), case, also you have to buy a new heatsink fan combo, because dells use air duct cooling for their cpus, and the duct will only fit in a dell case.

My friend bought a new mobo for his dell and went from 2.2ghz to 3.2ghz. We were both amazed.

burned-ati said:
maybe you should just sell ur dell! and build a system.

i was thinking about it but I was able to get my Dell system with a keyboard, mouse and speakers for 290.00 which isnt bad for a Pentium 4 computer with 256 ram, 40 gig hd, and windows xp pro, dvd cd writer/reader and a bunch of other stuff on it.

o yea i had another question also. If I upgrade my mob will i still have Windows XP Pro on it. I'm pretty sure I will and sorry for the noob question. I'm just making sure.

You won't be able to use the dell supplied windows xp disc to install on your new mobo, Dell disc check the motheboard during install to make sre it's a dell. You could always get a pirated copy of windows though.

Keep the Dell PC so simple stuff, like web surfing, email, etc...

Save and build yourself a OCin' machine....

That's you're only hope...

Changing out the mobo (especailly if it uses a different chipset) can make your Windows OS corrupt (it changes kernel data if you switch chipset info). So, either buy XP again and get a enw mobo, or keep your PC.

I'd say keep the Dell, you got a good deal. And save for an overclocking machine if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom