Which processor is better for a gaming desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
preet2u said:
Finally someone pointed it out ... What Deadguy n' other's who are pro P4 ,need to understand is that .. the GHz of a processor is not all that matters ...
The point is that an AMD handles many more instructions in one clock cycle than the p4... This is what differentiates the 2 processors..
So basically if a P4 needs 4 clock cyles to finish an instruction ..the AMD can fininsh the same in 2.
This is why they are compared on different scales like AthlonXP2800+ runs at 2.1GHz ..yet it is comparable to the P4 2.8GHz

As for the heat issue that guys have been pointing out to .. it's not alwayz bad .. i'm running my processor with a stock HS n' have no problems at all .. The typical die temps for anAMD are much higher for an AMD than for a P4 .. infact a p4 would melt out at temps like 60°C ..where as an AMD can handle temps like 80°C too

But then .. the arguement continues ..........:D

And I'm getting tired of having to make such points:p ;) You can do it for OK?:p

OK let me say this:
I am not against Intel or Pentium 4 in any way, I always preferred P4's before they brought out the Athlon 64's. it doesn't matter much to me whether they do 64 bit or not, it is just an extra. What I like about the Athlon 64's is that they perform better than the P4's, I think the FX is not worth the money when the 3400 performs better in a lot of ways, and it also outperforms the P4 extreme. right now I am in favour of the 3400.
I understand the AMD's run hotter, but is not a problem if you have fairly descent cooling, so I usually don't take it into account.
I know AMD's perform better at lower clock speeds, and when you overclock them, perform even better. the Athlon's were always better than P4's for overclocking. Before Athlon 64's I just liked the performance of P4's without being overclocked.

Well, a 64 bit processor is able to run 64 bit software. However, there really aren't many 64 bit applications out there. WinXP will be offered in a 64 bit version but it is not released yet.

However, AMD's new line of processorsis able to process 32 bit applications as well as 64 bit application. Its just that, as a consumer, there are no 64 bit apps that I would care to run. I'm sure, though, that there are currently wuite a few 64 bit apps being worked on so it should not be too long before we see them. Maybe as soon as the 64 bit version of XP is released.

If you're a gamer, I would reccomend the Athlon 64 over the P4, unless you can afford the P4EE series which is priced out of reach for most of us.

-Target

Target said:
Well, a 64 bit processor is able to run 64 bit software. However, there really aren't many 64 bit applications out there. WinXP will be offered in a 64 bit version but it is not released yet.

However, AMD's new line of processorsis able to process 32 bit applications as well as 64 bit application. Its just that, as a consumer, there are no 64 bit apps that I would care to run. I'm sure, though, that there are currently wuite a few 64 bit apps being worked on so it should not be too long before we see them. Maybe as soon as the 64 bit version of XP is released.

If you're a gamer, I would reccomend the Athlon 64 over the P4, unless you can afford the P4EE series which is priced out of reach for most of us.

-Target

Well said;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom