Got A Freebie, Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyjames66

Baseband Member
Hi all,
I just got a computer today that someone didn't want. It is a CTX. It has a Biostar M5ATA Rev.1.0 Motherboard that is AMD K-6. It runs Windows 95.
What I need to know is, is there any way to put in USB capability in this? Also, it has an older keyboard connector that I've never seen. It's a large, round connector with 5 pins. I don't know where to find a keyboard for it.
Any thoughts are appreciated. I would like to give this to my daughter for just browsing the net so I don't want to put much into it.

Thanks in advance

Corey:cool:

Thanks for the link. I was able to find an adapter so that I can use a regular keyboard.
I really appreciate the help.
Any ideas on hooking up a USB PCI card? Is this just not an option. I'm completely in the dark here.
I don't have the Win 95 CD.

Thanks,
Corey

USB host cards are simple. just stick the card in a free pci slot and install the drivers. to use USB you will need Win95 rev C. or you could install 98se which would make things a lot easier. a K6 should be able to run 98se its just a matter of memory you would need 32mb to make it worth it. that computer must have at least 16mb if its running 95 but probably already has 32mb. you could track down a K6-II and that would probably only cost a few dollars.

It has 32 mb of memory. Sorry I didn't mention that.

The problem I'm running in to is, all of the PCI cards I can find specify Win 98 SE or higher.

Here's the rub.....................

If I don't have the Win 95 CD, I don't want to upgrade to Win 98 S.E.. If the hdd crashes my daughter would be left with squat. That only leaves me with with the option of finding a card that is compatible with 95.

Am I right? If so, does anyone know where on God's green Earth to find one that will work? I've Googled my arse off and either there is nothing out there, or I'm typing in the wrong search words.

Thanks again. I know, hardly worth it.............but hey, why not try right?:D

Do you have any discs?, a K6 will run 2000, even XP if you wanted.In school we had k6's that triple booted 2000, 2000 server and xp.

you could buy a usb hub (they're very cheap) and install windows 98. I would NOT install anything over windows 98 on that machine because it probably wont handle it.

however, you could buy more RAM, because SDRAM is very cheap!

if you could get 128 MB on the mobo (you probably can), you could run xp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom