What's the Best? (120mm Case Fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I recently bought a Antec P180 Case and have been less then impressed with the (2) 120mm case fans that come with the case.

First of all the have a stupid switch on them, "low, off, high". I also have the Antec Truepower 550w PSU, which comes with two molexes that are specifically for fans. The idea is that when your PSU is under heavy load, it will increase the speed of the case fans. These fans do not come with a 3 pin connecter to connect to the motherboard. I'm not a big fan of this. I want my motherboard controlling my fan speeds, not my PSU.

So anyway... I'm looking to get (2) new 120mm case fans, with 3 pin connectors, that are fairly quiet and push a ton of air.

Any suggestions?

Delta TFB1212GHE is the absolute best case fan you can buy as it pushes about 220CFM...the problem with it is that it's rated for 30w and therefore has to be connected directly to your PSU and you'll have to mod your connection for 7v unless you want your computer to mimick as a jet engine

As you mentioned, Panaflos and Sanyo Denkis are good choices...however you most likely will not be using them with motherboard fan headers...fan headers are generally rated <5watts whereas these fans are about 10watts

In addition to that, it's generally suggested you don't use the fan headers unless absolute neccesary as it puts more stress on your mosfets and thus more resistance = more heat

Good info gaara... I knew I could count on you for quality info.

My main problem now it this. As you know, I transfered all of my current hardware to a new Antec P180 Case & Antec Truepower 550w, from a TT Shark case with PCP&C 425w PSU.

Absolutely nothing else has changed except the case and power supply. During the transfer process, i completely cleaned all components of dust. Most notably the HS&FAN. Although I didn't remove it, i just cleaned it really good.

My CPU idle temp before was about 35C to 40C. Load temps were about 45C to 55C, in the TT Shark case. With a dirty HS&FAN.

Now that it's nice and clean and in a new case with new PSU, my idle temps are just above 40C and load temps have been as high as 60C. The new case is ment for quiet & cool. It has 4 120mm fans. The PSU is located at the bottom and has a seperate chamber which air is brought inside the case from the front, then another fan to push it out the back, along with the fan on the PSU. The inside were the mobo is has 2 120mm fans, one in the back and one on the top.
Both of which are within inches of the HS&FAN. I would think that this would be a heck of a cooling solution. But, that's not what i'm seeing. I'm seeing higher ambient temps and well as CPU temps?

Doesn't make much sense. Any ideas?

HAVOC2k5 said:
Good info gaara... I knew I could count on you for quality info.

My main problem now it this. As you know, I transfered all of my current hardware to a new Antec P180 Case & Antec Truepower 550w, from a TT Shark case with PCP&C 425w PSU.

Absolutely nothing else has changed except the case and power supply. During the transfer process, i completely cleaned all components of dust. Most notably the HS&FAN. Although I didn't remove it, i just cleaned it really good.

My CPU idle temp before was about 35C to 40C. Load temps were about 45C to 55C, in the TT Shark case. With a dirty HS&FAN.

Now that it's nice and clean and in a new case with new PSU, my idle temps are just above 40C and load temps have been as high as 60C. The new case is ment for quiet & cool. It has 4 120mm fans. The PSU is located at the bottom and has a seperate chamber which air is brought inside the case from the front, then another fan to push it out the back, along with the fan on the PSU. The inside were the mobo is has 2 120mm fans, one in the back and one on the top.
Both of which are within inches of the HS&FAN. I would think that this would be a heck of a cooling solution. But, that's not what i'm seeing. I'm seeing higher ambient temps and well as CPU temps?

Doesn't make much sense. Any ideas?

THATS THE SAME THING THAT HAPPENED TO ME!!!

I just removed/cleaned all of my stuff and put it in a new aluminum (old one was steel) case, with a much better cooling situation, and the temps have gone up to the exact same as yours.

move to antartica that'll cool you computer down. JK

Im going through the same ordeal as you, my video card is idling a 42C, so im buying 3 80mm fans and one 120mm fan but i dont know what to buy.

HAVOC2k5 said:

It could be possible that you broke the bond between your thermal paste/grease and your heat sink. I'm no expert, so I am only guessing and do not know how to solve the problem or test if I'm right other than removing the old paste/grease and reapplying it.

Or, it could be an overall air movement problem. <shrug> Just something to consider, I suppose.

Zeion said:
It could be possible that you broke the bond between your thermal paste/grease and your heat sink.

Well, I didn't remove the HS&FAN. I'm 99% positive that the HS&FAN is attached extremely securely to the motherboard. It's a s478 with the zalman 7000, the mounting is very easy and striaght forward. So i doubt it's a TIM issue. But, it was a good suggestion or thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom