My Documents Access is denied! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wumbo6

Baseband Member
I had a version of windows xp home sp2 installed on my original computer. the key was used already so i figured i would use a crack on it. it worked... so i thought. i didnt get the "you only have x days to register" message. until one day i boot up and i cannot log in. it turns out that the crack didnt work and i would have to activate. however when i activate it says windows is already activated. dam crack. so i installed windows on another hard drive and all is dandy now. but now when i try to access the documents on my old drive it says that the access is denied. NOOO! can someone help me out?
please and thank you in advance.

can u access the shared docs?

and can u still boot that drive one more time if u needed to?

if so, boot it and move all ur docs to the shared folder, then put it back how u have it now

all i know the reason u can't access it is because it's not yours. only the owner who created those files can access it. i'm assuming you are the owner.

1. Log on as Administrator.

2. First you need to turn off simple file sharing if it's on. To do that, click Start | My Computer. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, then the View tab. Go to Advanced Settings and clear the box that says Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended). Click OK.

3. Now navigate to the folder you want to own, and right click it. Select Properties from the context menu.

4. Click the Security tab, click the Advanced button, and click the Owner tab.

5. In the Name list under "Change owner to," click Administrators. If you also want to take over ownership of everything within a folder, check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

6. Click OK. Remember that this only works on files and folders stored on NTFS partitions. Objects stored on FAT partitions don't have owners or file level permissions. You can't turn off simple file sharing in XP Home edition, but you can take ownership by booting into XP in Safe Mode as Administrator, and then following steps 3 through 6.

Warez Monster said:
1. Log on as Administrator.

2. First you need to turn off simple file sharing if it's on. To do that, click Start | My Computer. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, then the View tab. Go to Advanced Settings and clear the box that says Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended). Click OK.

3. Now navigate to the folder you want to own, and right click it. Select Properties from the context menu.

4. Click the Security tab, click the Advanced button, and click the Owner tab.

5. In the Name list under "Change owner to," click Administrators. If you also want to take over ownership of everything within a folder, check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

6. Click OK. Remember that this only works on files and folders stored on NTFS partitions. Objects stored on FAT partitions don't have owners or file level permissions. You can't turn off simple file sharing in XP Home edition, but you can take ownership by booting into XP in Safe Mode as Administrator, and then following steps 3 through 6.

you beat me to it again. you can also use a linux boot cd to access and copy those files over

linux boot cd huh? you think you can send me an iso and some instructions?

thanks everyone for your responsed

THANK YOU!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom