Emachine won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfwh89

Beta member
I have a emachine t2040 witha celeron 2 ghz cpu that wont start when i push the power switch the fan on the power supply starts the fan on the cpu runs for 4 to 8 sec then stops i can hear the hd runing and thats it no lights on the key board and a black screen . need to know were to start can anyone help

i can tell your problem right away : Emachines...lol

Sounds like your motherboard may not be getting any power? check all the connectors and make sure they are secure as far as the cpu fan running for a little, that could mean a short somewhere on the board possibly?

I was thinking motherboard as well.

Don't knock eMachines... they are pretty good as far as pre-built go.

I think it sounds like a motherboard problem too. And I agree with Trotter on the emachine front. They're pretty good for pre-builts.

well i ruled out the psu and hard drive that leves the mother board. the only problem is emachine dose not have the parts .can I use an after market board?,I have a celeron 2 ghz 400fsb ,845gl chipset. will I need a special reeboot disk ? the one that came with the computer is and xp reboot combo on a cd disk.

You'll have to reinstall Windows and all of your programs once you get the mobo hooked up, I'm afraid.

Look for a microATX mobo. Since you're having to buy a new one, make sure that you get one with all the bells and whistles!

I hate to break this news to you but it may not just be the mobo. The fact that you get no led signal form the keyboard may indicate either a bad mobo or CPU or both! Did you run this system overclocked?? what happened just prior to the system not powering on? Did you shut it down and then nada or did the system power off during operation? Bad smells emit if it powered down?

When you power up the system, does the cpu heat sinc continue to run? Is the hard drive spinning? I would pull everything off that mobo, reseat just the cpu wiht new thermal paste, cpu fan, one stick of memory and the video card (no other peripheral including the hard drive) and see if you get keyboard leds to blink and the preboot beep. Try that first before you start spending any money. If it will power on ten I will help you to check the voltages and potential ground voltage leaks from the mobo.

A dead system can be cause by a bad pheripheral device such as a sound card or even the video card if it is shorted. You can try the cpu and memory only boot (you will bet the one long two short beeps form the bios indicating that the video card is missing but if it will power on that id good news, Then you simply start adding stuff until the sytem fails to boot. OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom