~ file??

Status
Not open for further replies.

snopro879

Baseband Member
yea i noticed that in all of the users documents and settings folders there is a small file with the name "~", is this something i should be worried about, or basically what is it?:confused:

oh yea umm i have windows xp home...gateways version :/

i would have searched on google for it or something but search engines wont recgonize the ~ key, so yea, if anyone knows anything about this file it would help...also what is a MSdos batch file, i noticed that it appeard there too.

snopro879 said:
yea i noticed that in all of the users documents and settings folders there is a small file with the name "~", is this something i should be worried about, or basically what is it?:confused:

~ is not a file name,
myfiles~.txt is though.
Its a Dos file read by Windows and can't be more than 9 digets long.
:eek:

These are just temp files. Not necessarily sent by people but sometimes they are. Everyday applications use these as well. But if you don't have anything open, just delete them. I'd also advise you to run an extensive virus and adware check.

-Mike

yea thanks, if i delete the file it comes back, and it does appear on my desktop from time to time, my parents keep freaking out thinking its some kind of virus...but thank you ill looks at MS's website and ill see if i can find that patch.

File "~" is the result of a bug in MS cumulative patch for outlook express --# 330994, made available in April 2003. It is not spyware or a virus. It is simply a back-up of your address book, that shouldnt have turned up on your desk-top. It is called a "tilde file" and is placed on the desk-top because it was renamed & most people access outlook from desk-top. You can safely delete it. If it is other places in your system ---leave it alone , as it is a back-up, even if not important.
I believe MS has addressed this problem already, or will shortly, with a update >>>Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom