Extensive PC damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I just ordered a DFI Lanparty S939 SLI mobo and an Opteron 165. Will I see improvements in gaming with this Opteron over my Athlon 64 3200+?

How can you be sure it's the Motherboard or CPU? Just simply removing a few cold cathode lights, even with mild ESD wouldn't damage your Motherboard or CPU so bad it wouldn't turn on.

Have you checked the PSU? Have you checked the front panel power connecters? Have you cleared the CMOS?

I noticed a slight different from my 3200+ venice to my Opty 170, especially when minimizing out of bf2, whew thats fast.

Im with HAVOC2k5. before you trash everything try another PSU first.

The rig you have is great and if it does turn out to be a PSU problem then it wont cost you much. If you have an old one just try hooking up the motherboard, cpu fan connection and video card. Then try booting.

Also if you can test your current PSU with a ammeter or whatever its called. Make sure the voltages are right.

Well, im going to take this PSU and have it tested tomorrow morning. I honestly dont think its that thouhh, this is a brand new PSU. And why would the PSU quit working just because I removed some cold cathodes?

BTW, this same exact thing happened when my family's HP got fried by lightning.

You can test the PSU by connecting the green ATX wire to another ground wire on your ATX connection with something like a paperclip

You also haven't seemed to considered RMAing as I doubt your warranties have expired...although I really don't think both your CPU and motherboard are toast...Opteron should only be considered if you want to overclock as you'll void your warranty even by just using it as AMD has mandated that only select few boards officially support it, the larger cache won't make much of any difference especially in gaming

I was talking it over with a friend who knows more about hardware than I do, and he assures me that I made the right choice by going for an Opteron. Plus, I will definately be overclocking to at least 2.2 GHz on each core.

I never really liked my NV8 motherboard anyways. I only bought it so I could use a PCI-E graphics card, but it is definately a low-quality motherboard, basically the kind you find in retail PCs.

well, sounds like you made a good choice then. Opteron = safer overclocks and DFI = quality and overclocking features.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom