Graphic Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
hardly. It's actually more of a bragging point. They invented a new shader model that has virtually no upgrades so they could say, "We are the ones who offer shader model 3"

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
hardly. It's actually more of a bragging point. They invented a new shader model that has virtually no upgrades so they could say, "We are the ones who offer shader model 3"

Ryan

Buy the eVGA 7800GT it's hands down the best bang for the buck card out on the market.

Why do you alway put Ryan at the end of you're posts?

Yea, any of the cards you listed will be an upgrade in performance over what you currently have. On the higher end, the 7800GT would be a VERY good card (costing around $310 if you buy the lower end), and some of them come with mail-in rebates or games (I recently purchased the EVGA 7800GT for $305 with $20 mail-in and Quake 4 when I register). As stated, it will easily play any game out there right now. If you have the money though, a 7800GTX or x1800XT would literally be the top of the line, but they are much more costly. Right now, the best for the money is the 7800GT, and it is considered a high or extra high quality video card.

I thought SM 3 is what made the cards run so much better in doom engine games and serious sam then their nvidia equivalent. Am I wrong, if so what DOES shader model 3.0 actually do?

Well, you're half right. SM3.0 (Unified name for Pixel Shader 3.0 and Vertex Shader 3.0) was supposed to increase image quality, and it does, but not enough to revolutionize anything. Whats more important, SM3.0 increases performance.

There is a difference between better image quality and increase in performance. Performance refers to the FPS and sort of stuff. SM3.0 cards get better performance than those lacking SM3.0. Thats why a GeForce 6800GT can keep up with cards like the X800XT which should, in theory, smoke it. You don't NEED SM3.0 in a game to run it, but it certainly helps. Kinda like SSE3 in Processors; Venices perform better than Newcastles, at the same clockspeeds, because they have SSE3 and the Newcastles don't.

Re: Re: Graphic Cards

PZEROFGH said:
The whole X8** series from ATI suck.

Well, I can't agree with this 100%. I have a sapphire X800XT PE and there isn't a game available now that I can't play at all the highest settings, without unplayable FPS.

3Dmark05 = 6310
Aquamark3 = 64100

well, actually, scratch that... the only game that runs crappy on the highest settings is F.E.A.R. (This could be the poor efficiency of the engine though.)

Other then that, i've had nothing but great experiences with the card.
I've had it overclocked for the last 6 months at 590/1250. I had to buy a new VGA cooler for it (had the Arctic Silencer4) but the fan died. Now i've got the zalman VF700. And all is still well.

May-be I got very lucky with a good one? I don't know.

mike4realz said:
i guess his real name is Ryan...right Ryan?

We're really getting those dendrites firing tongiht! Aren't we boys?!?!

Yes, my name is Ryan. I think it adds a personal touch. It detechnitizes the person. They are no longer an entity with a jibberish name. They become a person. Anyway, it feels like I'm adding a small bit of credibility to my post. You know, like, "Hey, I made a post, and that's what RYAN is saying."

Ryan

QUOTE! FLANKER
(Well, you're half right. SM3.0 (Unified name for Pixel Shader 3.0 and Vertex Shader 3.0) was supposed to increase image quality, and it does, but not enough to revolutionize anything. Whats more important, SM3.0 increases performance.

There is a difference between better image quality and increase in performance. Performance refers to the FPS and sort of stuff. SM3.0 cards get better performance than those lacking SM3.0. Thats why a GeForce 6800GT can keep up with cards like the X800XT which should, in theory, smoke it. You don't NEED SM3.0 in a game to run it, but it certainly helps. Kinda like SSE3 in Processors; Venices perform better than Newcastles, at the same clockspeeds, because they have SSE3 and the Newcastles don't.)
UN QUOTE!
well first of all i would say go with the 7800gt or gtx what ever dollar your rolling on. and also remeber the x850xt doesnt support sm3 and lets talk about sm3 here, last time i checked the 7800 series, and 6800 series all failed several graphical spurts of SHADER MODEL 3 TESTS. HMMM AND THIS WAS ALSO MENTIONED FROM ATI. SO KEEP THAT IN MIND ALL THOUGH SM3 JUST SOUNDS COOL IT REALLY DOESNT TWERK! ALTHOUGH HANDS DOWN THE 7800GTX HAS ALL THESE BOARDS, I WOULD GO WITH IT, I BELIVE 7800/6800 SERIES FAILED LIKE 11 OUT OF 12 SM3 TESTS
YOU CAN ALSO GOOGLE THIS UP IF YOU LIKE.and for some reason everybody brings up uhhh der der it dont got sm3! errrrrrr which really they dont know what there talking about and no im not some ati fan boy! i actually like both companies very well and pick upon performance for dollar its just you shouldnt dig up compare ati too nvidia cuz nvidia has sm3, because last time i checked ati was working with 256bit memory interface waaaayyy!! before nvidia was but again get the 7800gt or gtx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom