Extensive PC damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Sorry to bother, but I need help,

This morning saw the death of my motherboard and CPU as it looks, I'm not sure if any additional parts were damaged. It happened when I was removing some cold cathode lights. When I turned the PC back on, it acted normal except i got no display from the graphics card. I turned it off, and that was the last time it turned on. Instead, the fans just wiggled a bit when I pressed the power switch. So I reseated the HSF on the CPU, and now I don't get any response at all when I press the power button on my PC.

I have 2 questions, first, how extensive do you think the damage to my parts is? I've stripped everything down to barebones to troubleshoot, and didn't get anywhere. Do you think this is just a mobo/CPU problem, or could it have taken other parts such as my graphics card and RAM with it? Please give me your opinions on this so I know what I can prepare to order.

Second, what motherboard and CPU should I get to start with? I am going to start at these two parts then replace more if I need to. I'm hoping that just replacing the motherboard and CPU will do the trick.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131517

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103562

I don't care about overclocking, i just want a system that runs well for gaming. Give me suggestions on parts if you would.

Thanks for any replies....

I'm not sure, you probably killed something with static eletricity. (in which case it's probably not the cpu)

Its a P3 which uses SDR....its not a possibility. I am going to start by just ordering the CPU/Mobo and replace additional parts if necessary. Newegg is fast. :)

why dont you get a MSI board instead of the DFI since your not going ot overclock and MSI is cheaper. same with the opty 165, get the cheaper of the two since if your not going to oc theres no point in getting an opty unless you like the extra cache on it.

Running said:
why dont you get a MSI board instead of the DFI since your not going ot overclock and MSI is cheaper. same with the opty 165, get the cheaper of the two since if your not going to oc theres no point in getting an opty unless you like the extra cache on it.

The extra cache is the selling point on it to me, and I will mildly OC it since I'm getting an Opteron.

I don't think it was static electricity that fried my mobo, i think it was a short when I plugged a 12v connector into the PCI-Express power slot on my Abit mobo. Not sure though. I called a local PC repair shop and explained my situation and he said there was basically no hope.

that makes sense, but if you want to save some money get the MSI board since it can do some mild oc'ing. but DFI is good. i guess if you ever wanted to tweak your system DFI's bios would give you all the options you need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom