Cannot uninstall Norton Anitvirus 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hoping someone can tell me how to get this thing off my system. I can't find a Norton Uninstaller and in Add/Remove programs in XP I see two listings for Norton, one for the Live Update ad the other for Norton Antivirus. When I try to uninstall norton anitivirus it says 'A newer version of Norton Antivirus has been found and must be uninstalled first" then it brings up the Add/Remove program link which I was already in... I'm clueless, so if anyone has any suggestions or has had to do this before and found a way to do it without Norton taking out any system files, please let me know. If you need more info, just ask.

go to the program files folder and start deleting the files, it you get an access is denied, go into safe mode and delete it

Hey Warez, will this cause any problem if Norton has that embedded 'norton protected files' feature on the recycle bin? If not, I'll try your method :) Last time I tried to manually remove a norton AV it took system files with it somehow and I had to reinstall XP.

what files do you need in the recycle bin? Ive never had to reinstall before by doing this

I don't need any of the files. I just wanted to make sure if I manually delete them that XP won't crash when it tries to load the Norton Protected Files software which replaces the normal recycle bin. I'll just set a restore point and do what you said, I'm just paranoid because of a headache I had before trying to manually unistall Norton AV..

No, my version of 2004 AV automatically installs that feature and it cannot be disabled or uninstalled, actually, it's one of the reasons I want to get rid of this version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom