New PC seeing as AGP is now obsolete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody

In Runtime
Having only built my system 8 months ago when AGP was still the thing, I now need to buy a new PC to keep up with technology. I figure if I buy early, I can continue to upgrade it. I got offered this:

Asus A8N-SLI motherboard
AMD 3800+ X2
2gb OCZ memory (Dual Channel)
2x 6800GT SLI Technology
Antec P160 case w/Window
550w Antec Power Supply
2x 120gb SATA
DVD-RW

for 1950 + tax (CDN) which is 1685 +tax USD.

What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and buy it? or should I built it piece by piece by myself?

EDIT:

Also, how much do you think my older system should go for? Excluding the monitor (I have a spare NEC 17" flant panel I can replace it with and the sound card (mobo has onboard sound)

I was thinking the same... I am getting this from a supplier for my company that I give a lot of personal business to. He offered me this having found out I needed a new PC when I has asked him to get me a quote for an AGP card and he told me they were off the market now. He also offered to asemble it for me, which I can just do myself anyway

yoooooo thas canadian dollars?

i live in canada and im looking for a new computer tooo and cheap, u kno the site for that company??

That new rig looks good, but may i ask you a question. If you bought your current comp 8 months ago why did you choose such a crappy video card, are you a non gamer? That wouldnt make sense since you want PCIE.

There still are a few good agp cards if you want to take the cheap route, cost me 300 canadian for a 6800gs AGP card.

Well this is from a supplier I have at work. He runs his own business... His website hasn't been updated though because he has been swamped. I usally just email him and he gets back to me in literally 5 min (god bless blkac berrys). He gets very good deals as he has a lot of contacts. You would have to pay shipping from Montreal, but he can get you some sweet deals. If you are interested, PM me and I'll give you his email.

Mr_Threepwood said:
That new rig looks good, but may i ask you a question. If you bought your current comp 8 months ago why did you choose such a crappy video card, are you a non gamer? That wouldnt make sense since you want PCIE.

There still are a few good agp cards if you want to take the cheap route, cost me 300 canadian for a 6800gs AGP card.

During that time I was going to school and working part time and I really needed a new PC. This "crappy" vid card can run HL2 full settings with Omega drivers OCed at 110 fps heh. I also needed an S-Video vid card to hook up to my tv for reasons I cannot say! ;)

Wow how are you getting that good on that card when my 9800 is about the same? Are the normal ATI drivers THAT crappy?

I would recomend since you're buying 2 6800GT's that's about the price of one 7800GTX which will beat 2 6800GT's in performance.

I think im correct not to sure.

Yeah, the omega drivers are maxed out for the performace of your card. Uninstall your ATI ones and dl these:

Omega Drivers

I was thinking the same... get a 7800GTX... but like you, I am not sure what the performace difference would be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom