Opteron VS Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawizhacker

Daemon Poster
Ive been looknig around and for sone reason it seams that most people have AMD Opteron, i'm don;t usually OC but what is better AMD Opteron 146 or an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ the price is aobut the same...

I just want to know why is it that more poeple prefer AMD Opteron then the other kind.

AMD Opteron 146 is about 160-170 $
AMD Althlon 64 3500+ for 180$

Which is better?

in easy terms is that the opteron can be overclocked so high because the quality of the silicon used it better and the voltage it uses is low requirment so it wont get hot as fast or as high. and i give it 5 mins before im corrected lol

most ppl here that get opetrons are goona goona overcloak it. You look into some benches to see which one is better. I think u wont find a diference or that much of a differece so pick the opetron so u can say hey i have a opetron!

what about athlon 3800 x2 vs opteron 165 x2
opteron runs at 1.8GHZ L2 2mb and can OC like mad
athlon runs at 2.0GHZ L2 1mb and can OC alright
they are within 8 bucks right now on newegg

Sry i din't reply for so long i was at school while i started this thread.

I don't OC because im not that much of a nerd, Im only going to use this CPU for gameing, BF2, COUNTER-STRIKE, COD2, F.E.A.R., and tones of other cruddy games.

Is the operton better for gameing, or is it enough for my needs?

I'd just assume go with the Athlon if your not going to overclock. The Athlon would give you better performance in the long run and if you can afford it, consider what dRgreen said above.

The Athlon 64 is for you. The Opteron costs a few bucks more. If not overclocking, definately go with the Athlon.

Ryan

The opteron also has much more efficient cooling, which means that your CPU will run cooler. The extra cache is nice to, I say go Opteron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom