4GB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocker

In Runtime
I have an ASUS A8N-SLI mobo with 4 slots for ram. I currently am running 2x512MB of ram. I'm getting 4x1GB of DDR400 PC3200 of RAM from a friend for free. My question is will so much RAM cause any complications with Windows XP or any hardware? Somewhere else in this forum someone said that Windows may not take so much.

2 gigs is all you need, 4 gigs and windows will not be able to manage all that memory properly. I'd say keep 2 yourself, sell the other 2, or wait until Vista comes out and add it then.

Yeh 2gb is all that's needed IMO..... I would sell it if i was you.
P.S... This is kinda outta the question, but how are you getting that for free? :p:p^^

So I should only run 3x1GB at most? Has anyone tried running 4x1GB, and did it corrupt XP Pro? Will the OS do that dreaded memory dump blue screeen if I try to push 4GB? I guess what I'm asking is how badly will Windows behave if I use 4GB. I just want to maximize the amount of RAM my system can handle since it's free.

No, it just won't see it. It flat out will not use it. And if you use 3gb, you'll lose dual channel capability. You can put that much ram in if you want to, but you're going to take a performance hit.

Ryan

and we all know to steer clear of windows x64. it's on the fritz 24/7. And don't even think about driver support.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom