Changing the color of my drive covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
I've painted my entire computer case black. It looks pretty good but my 3 1/2 floppy drive, CD-RW, and DVD-ROM are all beige.

I tried to remove the plastic covers but they are attached to the circuit boards. Spray painting would be tough with the knobs and lights on them.

Do I have any options aside from buying new drives altogether?

holy crap if ur thinking about buyin new drives just for color ur crazy. but personally i dont care wat mine looks like

Definitely not. I just figured that if I didn't say "aside from buying new drives" some brilliant poster would say "Buy new drives! ;)"

but i guess you like put masking tape over the lights, but make sure ur drives open without stickyness, i guess

Attatched to the board?? How? There should be a series of 4 or so latches that you can depress, but first take the face of the tray off by pulling out and lifting up. That should work, Ive never once heard of ANY drives attatched to the board, thats nearly impossible. Can you see a connection? If so what is it?

Once theyre off I recommend Vinyl Dye. You can find it at any auto parts store in the paints section.

The lights are actually TOO small for masking tape, I think I can get by with putting a tiny bit of grease over them with a Q-tip, but I am afraid of damaging internal circuitboards with paint. The floppy is not a concern because its like 8 bucks, but the other 2 are expensive and if I can do it to them I can do it to the floppy drive.

Shrap, they are attached to the board via notches overlapping it. It can be removed but I wasn't sure how.

I am using wood/plastic/metal flat black spraypaint, I think that should work fine too, shouldn't it?

I have used a small lump of blue tack to mask off small or awkward areas while spraying, still a better idea to disconnect the face from the important bits if you can though.

I took the front panels of n' then spayed 'em .. It's not all that complex ... just eject the drive tray out before u dismantle it .. make's life easier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom