New motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen_s

Baseband Member
I have an computer that is a few years old and I think the motherboard is dead. It has an AMD Athlon 2200+, 2 512mb sticks of pc2100 ram, a cdrw drive, a dvd rom drive, a floppy drive, a 100gb hardrive, and just onboard graphics. I'm not planning on gaming with this computer. Can anyone recommend a motherboard that would work. Also, what will be involved in getting the computer to work once I put the motherboard in? Thanks for the help.

A 2200+ is probably an Athlon XP. That would go into a Socket A. You might have to reinstall the OS if you replace the motherboard but the hard drive looks fine (unless thats dead too).

Socket A is the same as Socket 462.

Elbatrop, don't worry. ECS is a solid brand for quality. It's definately not for the overclocking community though. I wasn't really thrilled when I tried to overclock, but it always works the way it's supposed to.

Ryan

Thanks for all the help!!! Sorry I forgot to say 2200+ AMD Athlon "XP". That motherboard looks good. This was a prebuilt emachines computer which comes with their recovery discs. I have used those to reinstall windows but will they still work with a new motherboard?

aye29 said:
A 2200+ is probably an Athlon XP. That would go into a Socket A. You might have to reinstall the OS if you replace the motherboard but the hard drive looks fine (unless thats dead too).

Windows wont need reinstalling ...but it is better to do it

Windows will need to be reinstalled due to the different chipsets. Believe what you want, but i do this for a living. DDR will work in any DDR slot as long as its DDR not DDR2 or SDRAM. So yes, PC2100 will work in a PC2700 slot, it will just run at PC2100 speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom