Incorrect cd drive volume label

Status
Not open for further replies.
unistall the ide drivers to them (it will atuomatically unistall the drives), then reboot. it should install all of the proper drivers and dma settings

OK, here's something interesting:

No disc in drive, WinExplorer shows default DVD-RW Drive label.
Insert Data1 CDRW, WinExplorer shows same DVD-RW Drive label.
But, Right-clicking on My Computer/Manage/Storage/Removable Storage /Media and/or Libraries shows the correct Data1 label.

I removed Roxio, by the way, from the Registry - except where it appears in Path= which seems to be long strings of various programs. Should I edit those strings and remove it?

I uninstalled the Secondary IDE and rebooted. XP recognized the drives, but the problem persists. I noticed, too, that even though the folders/files are listed on a disc in the right panel - the volume label remains as "DVD-RW Drive". It doesn't change except when I reboot.

Secondly, a right-click on the drive Properties shows no volume label at all, and no free space left.

I'm so sad! I'm standing out here in left field, and it looks like the rest of the team has already left the ballpark. Sob, sob.

Seriously, this is driving me nuts! Would a Repair of XP possibly fix this? An SFC /scannow?

you might need to reformat. that's what most people have to do when they are using roxio's packetwriting

Gee, that sounds like fun, doesn't it? (I just did this last month after a bad virus got me, and I had to reinstall over 50 programs. Took me a week to do it. 37GB all told.) Thank God I had Acronis TrueImage to save all my data!

I still think it is something in the registry, but I'm stumped as to what it is and where it is. None of my System Restores will cure this, either, because of how long it's been going on.

Thanks for trying.

the main purpose of xp was to stop companies hijacking of .dll and such. roxio alway seems to find a way around this

You know, you would think that reinstalling Roxio EasyMediaCreator 8.05 would solve this problem, wouldn't you? But it doesn't. So, if it is a Roxio problem, then why isn't this problem noted on any of the Roxio forums? This is what makes me think it is a Windows problem. I can't remember what caused this. I went from Roxio EasyCd Creator to EasyMedia Creator 7.5 to EasyMedia Creator 8.00, and finally downloaded and installed the "patch" 8.05.

I'm also wondering if there's anything I could have done wrong in xteq. I use that considerably for tweaking XP. I'm sure it's not the drive (Benq DW1640 DD) because I had the same problem with my old Sony DRU510. That was about a month and a half ago.

As to Drag-to-disc, I have used it (and DirectCD) for years to write and re-write to CDRW's and DVD-RW's. Never had a problem until now. Yet everyone bashes Roxio and says packet-writing is no good. Well, it sure has helped me in the past. I've been using CDRW's as hard drives to keep certain files and programs updated, like when a new version of a program comes out. I just delete the old program off the CDRW and paste the new one in its place.

This is a real tragedy to me. I have no idea how it happened.

Thanks for your input, EricB!

packet-writing is good. but not roxio's. a few years ago they had a class action lawsuit pending, because directcd of Easy creator platinium 5 (the regular version didn't have the issue) was giving everybody the BSOD with XP

Yeah, I remember that. But what is the option? Use InCD so that your RW's can't be read on other people's computers? B's Clip? I've tried them all over the years. They suck even worse, to me. ECDC6 seemed to be the best. InCD caused a ton of problems - wouldn't recognize my DirectCD discs - or maybe it was vice versa. What else is there? And am I *****ing about Roxio because of a problem that MAY have been caused by something in WinXP? No one seems to know for sure, and I've tried about 20 different things over the past few days. Nothing seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom