2 gig upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerslave

Banned
I want to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram, should I get another 2x512 kit to go with my 2 x 512 kit I already have, or get a 2 x1gb kit, which one will give better performance?

I noticed that if I go with the first option, it will run in DDR333, and 2 x 1gb will run in DDR400, whats the difference?

ddr333 and ddr400 are different ram speeds
If you buy another 512 kit, its max speed will be limited to the speed of your ddr333 kit.
If you want performance I would get a set of 1gb sticks for faster speeds and possible dual channeling

You'll likely see more performance if you go 1GB@400MHz, than if you go 2GB@333MHz. There's such a small performance difference between 1GB and 2GB, that you'll likely be hurt by the decrease in memory bandwidth.

I just upgarded to 2gb total. I bought 2 more exact same ram sticks of 512mbs. I also bought a new psu. But whatever it is im getting way faster performance than before; loading programs seems faster, alt tab works faster/better, when im finished a game i dont have to wait 30 seconds to do something else, i can immediately open a different task. Also, i'm able now to leave programs running rather than shutting them down, like when playin BF2.....etc

Cost wise its alot cheaper for you to get just 2 more 512 sticks. I think that would be good enough.

I dunno Elb, this is whats happening for me ;]

im not criticising you or anything... but if u dont know the difference between ddr333 and 400, then are u sure your mobo supports that much RAM.. and sorry if anyone has brought that up (or it was stated) but i just skimmed thru this post :p

oh and if u buy 2x 512mb stix and realise u wanna go higher, u will eventually hafta ditch a stick or two. example my mobo uses 2dimms 1GB each... if i bought a 512 and later wanna max out, the 512 is gonna have to be remove hence < $ in pocket

vaderpro said:
I just upgarded to 2gb total. I bought 2 more exact same ram sticks of 512mbs. I also bought a new psu. But whatever it is im getting way faster performance than before; loading programs seems faster, alt tab works faster/better, when im finished a game i dont have to wait 30 seconds to do something else, i can immediately open a different task. Also, i'm able now to leave programs running rather than shutting them down, like when playin BF2.....etc

Cost wise its alot cheaper for you to get just 2 more 512 sticks. I think that would be good enough.

I dunno Elb, this is whats happening for me ;]

Ya, you're probably right. I guess that's where benchmarks are not too helpful is switching between programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom