Incorrect cd drive volume label

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeico

Baseband Member
WinXP SP2. All packet-writing software has been uninstalled (was using Roxio EasyMediaCreator8). I insert a CDRW or DVD+RW and the correct volume label and folder/file info is seen. Ejecting the disc, however, the volume label and folder/file info remains the same - unless I reboot. Inserting another disc doesn't change the volume label - unless I reboot, but the contents (folders and files) have changed to read the new disc and are correct - without rebooting.

Any help on this?

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.
7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
8. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

This is usually dont when you dont see your dvd/cd drives but I have fixed your problem before doing this and sometimes I havent so its worth a try.

Tried it, but doesn't seem to work - although drive is listed as DVD-RW Drive; whereas it was CD-DVD Drive. Strange.

Using RegEdit, I savedkey, but not too sure what you mean by REG_MULTI_SZ. What is that? I did see the LowerFilters on the right, and deleted it, but there were no UpperFilters.

Shall I go ahead and restore the savedkey and try again?

I went ahead and re-added the savedkey.reg into the registry, and I noticed the LowerFilter also had a backup. I tried it again, and deleted both of them and rebooted, but again, nothing changed.

In essence, XP isn't recognizing an inserted CD or DVD unless the CD or DVD is left in the drive while rebooting. That's the only way I can see what the volume of the disc actually is.

roxio packet writing is always causing trouble. look for entries of roxio in the registry and delete them. try uninstall your ide driver too.

I've been hearing that alot, EricB, and I'll certainly try it. But what do you mean about uninstalling the ide driver? Are you talking about uninstalling the CD-DVD drive in Device Manager and then rebooting? If so, I've tried that. Please advise what you mean. Thanks!

uninstall the secondary ide drivers

DeviceManager.jpg

I'm afraid you lost me there. I have 2 hard drives on IDE1 and the DVDRW drive and another hard drive on IDE2. What would be the purpose of installing the DVDRW drive and hard drive? I must be confused, or "slow" - or something.

Are you saying to uninstall and then reboot so XP can recognize the drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom