Transfer OS & data fron one hdd to another. How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglemike

Baseband Member
Hello everyone. Currently I'm using an old 80gb maxtor hard disk. This disk has a problem - it has very low write performance - only about 5mb/s (dma enabled). Otherwice it's working fine. I was given another 80gb disk which works much better (faster on both read and write.
I would like to transfer everything from old disk to good one. I have dual boot between Win2000 and WinXP on 2 separate partitions. As well as other partitions (for ducumants, music, etc).

Is there some way to transfer all the data fron one to another, including partition structure, and it's data?
Will greatly appreciate any advice.
If not - Is there a way to at least transfer boot partition where windows resides? (considering I can move the rest manually afterwards).
TIA.

you're looking for a disk cloning application

i dont know of any free ones but popular apps include norton ghost & partition magic

you may run into a bsod on boot; inaccessable boot device. in which case its easiest to backup all your user data, reinstall your os's, and restore the user data.

couldn't you just use the file settings and transfer wizard in All Programs>accesories>system tools> file settings and transfer wizard..?

You need to make an image of your hdd.... You will need several cd's (the more stuff on your HDD, the more CD's you need) along with a program like Norton Ghost which cost's about $70 or if you know where to look you can get it for free ;).

I never tried copying multiple partitions, but I am sure it is possible, somehow. If not all at once, you could copy them one by one using Partition Magic or V2i Protector or Ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom