Experience with the E4 3200+ Venice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovesocks

In Runtime
My cousin received his E4 3200+ s939 Venice a few days ago and we overclocked it yesterday. His case has about four case fans, and we used the stock AMD hs/fan.

Specs:
Antec TruepowerII 380W
AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ socket 939
BIOSTAR TForce6100-939 microATX
1GB Geil ValueRAM
Albatron 6600GT

First of all, the BIOS is amazing for a microATX! I wish I had those kinds of options .. vcore, vdimm, memory clock (i.e. 200, 166, 133, etc.), HTT, LDT (no chipset voltage though), CPU multiplier, built-in memtest86+!; basically the works. The only important thing that it was missing was the chipset voltage, I think.

So we lowered the LDT to x4, left the multiplier at x10 and started raising the HTT on stock voltage (1.35v). Everything went fine, and idle temp stayed at 30*C, but I noticed that CPU-Z reported 1.317 or so for voltage. How accurate is CPU-Z's vcore reading? Anyway, when we got to about 240, we started getting BSoD's after the Windows loading screen. So I raised vcore to 1.375 and then 1.4 but the BIOS reported that the CPU was unstable. I thought that was strange, so I raised vcore to 1.425 and it still didn't work.

At that point I began to wonder about the mobo's voltage supply. If CPU-Z was correct, the board was undervolting at stock, so who knew what it was doing when we raised the voltage? In short, we never got the computer to boot with anything but 1.35 on the vcore. But the computer appeared to be stable at the board's undervolted stock voltage, so we lowered the memory clock to 166 (the Geils tightened up their timings automatically - dunno if this is common) and returned vcore to 1.35 and whaddaya know? it worked. So we continued on, lowering the LDT to x3 when we reached HTT 250, but we couldn't make it to 260 (FX-55 speed right???).

I forget exactly what the stepping was, but it was a week 43, i believe. However, we ordered the CPU soon after the E4 arrived at newegg, so hopefully it's a good one. I think with a proper overclocking motherboard that can deliver higher voltage, this baby could fly, since it made 250 on stock (or maybe even less?) voltage with the regular hs/fan and paste. Unless we did something wrong?

Any thoughts?

Okay, here's the short version: My cousin has a Biostar microATX board. There's a link to it in the first post. He used it to overclock his new E4 3200+ Venice. We got it to HTT 250, but we don't know what voltage the board is really putting out. It should be 1.35v, but that's not what CPU-Z says. We can't get it to boot with any voltage other than 1.35v. It's probably the board's fault, right? And the processor could probably go much faster with a little more voltage, right?

Sounds like a crappy board. Many nice DFI boards will get 300HTT! And 1.35v is just the stock voltage. With 1.55v You'd get probably get 500MHz + overclock out of the thing!

Get a DFI board or an Eopx Ultra like mine.

Could be a crappy board, or (now don't get on me too bad boys) POSSIBLY the Antec Truepower could be putting out some unstable voltages and it won't go any further until you really crank the voltage. When the voltage fluctuates and hits the bottom of the fluctuation, it throws an error. This is a single theory, so if you try and prove me wrong, woo hoo.

Ryan

Hey thanks for responding to this ol' thread. Yeah, the thing is he wanted mATX like me, and it appears that the Biostar is the best one. Unless DFI started making micro-LanParty boards (ooh that would be awesome)!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, Irish. It's either the board or the supply. Oh well, he's been running it for a while at 250HTT with no problems so I guess it's fine.

BTW it's not FX-55 speeds. The FX-55 has a better core, better memory controller and a 1MB cache. I'm able to get my 3000+ up to 2.5 from 1.8 easily on 1.425V.

well you got very lucky reggie... Nubius on here couldn't get past 2.55 and he was really trying. I believe he got pretty flippin angry. Of course, he had the same one I do, the 3000+ if the story is true.

Ryan

reggie_da_man said:
BTW it's not FX-55 speeds. The FX-55 has a better core, better memory controller and a 1MB cache. I'm able to get my 3000+ up to 2.5 from 1.8 easily on 1.425V.
Well, poop on the FX-55. Anyway, this is 2.5 with stock voltage, even though the 3200+ has less of a way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom