Need VERY BASIC router help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notedog

Baseband Member
I'm trying to set up my router, and it asks me for all these things. Does anyone know where I can find the DNS, IP adress, DCHP Info etc?

We need the OS, as well. Generally, unless it is wireless, you have to do nothing exept install the router and follow the setup instuctions provided by the manufacturer. If it is Me, 98se or earlier, setup is a little more problematic. If it is a 2Wire router DSL modem, you just plug it in and XP does the rest.

It's a netgear wireless 108 MBPS WGT624 V3. It also has four wired ports on the back for ethernet cables. I have cable, and Windows XP.

I plug it in. Then click Firefox (or Internet explorer) and it goes through some loading screens. Then asks for IP adress, First DNS adress, secondary DNS Adress, and some others.

I found a section in "my computer" that had that info listed, but when I entered it in, it said that either the info was wrong or I did set up incorrectly.

The set up process is unplugging my modem, my router, and turning off my computer. Wait two minutes, plug in modem. Wait two minutes, plug in router, wait two minutes, turn on comp. When I do this, it will not let me log on to the set up screen at all (the router says its connected, but it wont let me on line at all). Then I ussually give up, and unplug it. I put my old router back on (a very similiar model, also netgear wireless, only it's 54 mbps and a WGR614) but it doesn't work. I reset and it still wont work. I reset again, and this time it works. I go through this process every time I try it.

Are you guys able to help me with this info?

I don't know if you've tried this or not, but...

Go to the Control Panel and get into the Network Connections. Right click on the appropriate connection, and select Properties. Then highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click Properties. Then make sure the "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are both checked.

After you right click on the appropriate connection and select Properties, it should bring up a window similar to this one:

image16kk.jpg

After you click Properties there, it should look something like this:

image22zy.jpg

I hope that helps... if this doesn't solve your problem, then ask someone else. I don't know much about networking and routers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom