AMD vs. Intel - diff in speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyman_33

Baseband Member
How can you compare how fast these processors are?

On the intel processors they say like Pentium 4 3.0 ghz. Whereas AMD has like 3500+.

How can one tell by the name/specs of each processor which is faster when comparing AMD and Intel.

For instance I know a P4 1.8ghz is slower than a P4 2.66 ghz. I don't know how to tell which AMD is faster, but I would guess that a 3500 is faster than a 3200.

How can you compare both?

Anyone got any advice on processors for me?

Thanks,

Kyle

3200+ prefroms about the same as a pentium 4 @3.2 GHz. the + means it can preform better in some cases.

3000+ = 3 GHz
2400+ = 2.4 Ghz
3700+ = 3.7 GHz

Hope it makes some since, I threw a lowwer end in there too.

well put Ste. AMD tries to match up the 4 digit description number with the clock speeds of comparable Intel processors. The same holds true with Sempron processors. They are being compared to the Celerons. As AMD has surpassed Intel in dual core, I'm sure it was harder to name them with comparable processors though...

Ryan

Ste said:
3200+ prefroms about the same as a pentium 4 @3.2 GHz. the + means it can preform better in some cases.

3000+ = 3 GHz
2400+ = 2.4 Ghz
3700+ = 3.7 GHz

Hope it makes some since, I threw a lowwer end in there too.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was needing to know.

Thanks very much!!!

-Kyle

yeah but i definitly suggest amd as a processor if you are looking to build....

btw, dual core Owns!

wait, doesn't the number (example 3200+) mean that it is the equivilant to a 3.2ghz intel? like I have a amd 64 3200+, it's stock and not overclocked. however, when I look at reports it says I have a 2.0GHz proc! see why I'm confused :(

like I was under the impression that AMD is lower then what it says, the # mean you can accelerate it to that speed where as intel is what it says, 2.4 ht proc is 2.4 and not 1.8 ohh man I'm confusing myself the more I type!

sarge52 said:
wait, doesn't the number (example 3200+) mean that it is the equivilant to a 3.2ghz intel? like I have a amd 64 3200+, it's stock and not overclocked. however, when I look at reports it says I have a 2.0GHz proc! see why I'm confused :(

like I was under the impression that AMD is lower then what it says, the # mean you can accelerate it to that speed where as intel is what it says, 2.4 ht proc is 2.4 and not 1.8 ohh man I'm confusing myself the more I type!

Thats the operating frequency, however it still compares to the equvilant Intel proc.

the 4400+ is dual core(I think). Its gets messy with the dual cores, so I dunnue.

the number on the amd cpu doesnt determine what how fast they are, it gives you an idea of what it's equivelant too in Intels market

AMD AThlon 64 3000+
Operating Frequency: 2.0Ghz

Is equivelent to

Intel Pentium 4 530J
Operating Frequency: 3.0Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom