Okay so I built my computer today....

DFI Lanparty UT SLI-DR Expert
AMD Opteron 165
G.Skill DDR600 1gb (512mb x 2)
FSP 500Watt PSU
WD Hard Drive (IDE)
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
eVGA 6800gs (I "think" I repaired it)

The problem is that when I turn the computer on, everything starts running, except the monitor doesn't turn on (no image displayed). This could either be the video card or I seriously hope not the CPU. If everything is on and seems to be working is it possible for my Expert to have killed my CPU? If it is the video card then it is no big deal since I am getting a replacement anyways.

Maybe it is the ram? I have the ram in slots 2 and 4, and I have the Video Card in PCIE slot 1 (the one right next to the CPU). Hopefully this is just a matter of changing the positions of the ram and/or the video card! Any help is appreciated!

Your video card has a broken capacitator...diagnosing the problem really shouldn't be too difficult

Either way, move your speaker jumper to on position and the error code will reveal all

I replaced the capacitor lol.... The video card fan runs.... So just putting the speaker to on and I can diagnose from the beeps? I thought it was on by default?

Okay I turned it on and it didn't make any beeps or buzzes!

The capacitor I used was 220 uF @ 35 volts, while I needed a 180 uF @ 16 volts. The guy I purchased it from (he owns a shop and he repairs everything) said that the voltage didn't matter because it is atleast 16 volts and that the capacitance should be close enough.

Would the Video Card not work if I had soldered the capacitor in backwards? It was hard for me to tell which leg was postitive and which was negative. Is the short leg positive or is the long leg positive?

I think another part of your video card is also dammaged. If it was handled rough enough to break off a capicator, any number of things could be broken on it.

Anyways the capicator you got will work :) Too bad another part of your card is broken.

All right, if you aren't getting any error codes you should check your diagnostic LEDs and consult this to determine the problem. Basically if all the LEDs except the last one shut off you have a clean POST

I still think that the card is simply dead though...I honestly don't really know much about vmods so you would be better going to xtremesystems or pimprig to get better answers on circuitry as no one here really actively follows vmods I don't think...but I still think your card is dead beyond repair

I'm curious as to why your speaker isn't working though

I am curious as well. If my cpu were dead, would everything else still come on? Like how would I know in my current situation?

I am curious as well. If my cpu were dead, would everything else still come on? Like how would I know in my current situation?
I told you, you have diagnostic LEDs that you can consult to determine what the problem is mate...they should be below your PCI slots somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom