Problems with Windows 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricB said:
I would add at least 128-384mb of more ram and install xp.

install winrar. right click the file and select extract here

No, as I said, the main problem is that when the time comes for the PC to execute an installation, it gives me that "the system can't find the specified file" message, it has nothing to do with winzip or winrar.

It sure would be easier and less painful to buy more RAM and install XP, but I'll be damned if I can't fix an error like this. Then everyone would be buying XP for every bug they would find on any Windows that wasn't XP.

Frozen said:
I have recently installed this OS on the PC I'm using right now, it used to have Win ME, which is probably by far the worst Windows that has ever existed.

XP is the best. I took that from you

Frozen said:

Programs I've tried to install:

Adobe Reader
Winzip
W2KSP4 (service pak 4)
Windows installer 3.1
And a few more.

Basically anything that has to be extracted or self-extracts.

Could this be a problem with the temporary folder, or not enough RAM? (128)

I was suggesting winrar because it can extract all of those file to a specific location where you know where it is at. maybe you have an extracting problem

EricB said:
XP is the best. I took that from you

I was suggesting winrar because it can extract all of those file to a specific location where you know where it is at. maybe you have an extracting problem

I'm with you, XP is definitely the best (after SP2 is installed, that is) but in this particular situation I really want to fix this thing up without having to put any more RAM or any other Windows than 2000. Call me a stubborn, delusional hick lol

I need to know what the **** this Error code 2 thing is. I've been googleing it and nothing. I saw somewhere that when you have a NTFS formatted hard drive you'll need to "rename" the temp folder to "tempold" with the repair console, but my disk is has FAT32 format right now.

Do you guys think this might have naything to do with the problem?

Warez Monster said:
what i would do is fdisk and format it with a windows 98 bootdisk and then reinstall 2000

Do you suggest I install Win 98 and UPGRADE from 98 to 2000?

I'll keep that in mind, but I don't have any resources other than the Win 2000 installation CD, and the internet :D

Warez, I appreciate your help a lot. I will keep all the tools you pointed me out for future issues or reference.

The matter turned out to be much simpler than I thought.

As I had suspected, the anti-virus and anti-spyware programs were the cause of the problem. I decided to turn them both off and execute a couple of installation files.

Voila! I was able to install with no problems. I then procceded to...

Installe Service Pak 4

Apparently, when you have an outdated Win 2000 Pro (without any service paks installed) you will get problems like I was.

This time around, I have installed two programs successfuly, and I didn't even have to turn off AVG Anti virus or Spyware Doctor.

I think that the issue is solved for good.

Based on my experience, I would recommend installing Service Pack 4 as soon as you install Windows 2000 Professional(remember to install the service pack with the same language of your Windows version) before installing any antiviruses or anti-spywares to avoid this particular issue.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom