PSU Clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazo0

Solid State Member
Hello,

Recently my PSU has begun to click rapidly when I boot up my computer. It's sort of a *tick*tick*tick*tick*tick* sound. I'm pretty sure that's the fan but I don't think it's normal because it has only recently begun to do that. The PSU will also click a few times every now and then whilst the computer is running. It'll stop clicking after I boot up if I just hit the PSU a little but I don't think that's such a good idea.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what exaclty the problem is and if there is any way to fix it. I'm not sure if I will be able to buy a new PSU at the moment.

Try putting a vacume cleaner against the grill of the fan to try and get rid of any dust that may be inside. Dust collects easily in components like PSU's, so it's a good idea to maintain them.

Whatever you do, do NOT open it up to see what's wrong. I've had a power supply open before, and let's just say I got a nasty shock. It doesn't matter if it's switched off, electricity is still stored in the transformer/capacitor. If you do decide to open it up, it is as your OWN risk, and all I will say is, make sure you are earthed with an earthing wrist band.

TMT.

Don't worry, I've had my share of shocks when playing with some parts so I was not even considering that.

I have noticed dust in the PSU, do I place the vaccum on the back of the computer case where the grill for the PSU is or in the actual case on the grills of the PSU?

I also noticed a lot of dust on my CPU fan and case fans. Would it be smart to use a vaccum on those as well?

Vacume at every access point you have to the PSU. I would recommend cleaning your CPU and case fans, but since these are not covered, I'd recommend cleaning them with a dry cloth, rather than a vacume. If you do use a vacume, then make sure that you hold the fan fins still. I say this, because (as you'll find when you clean your PSU), the fan will spin because of the air flow being applied to it.

You're obviously not silly, but make sure that the power is switched off at the wall, since spinning up fans can act as a dinimo, and in turn create electricity that could be sent back in to your system.

TMT.

I have noticed dust in the PSU, do I place the vaccum on the back of the computer case where the grill for the PSU is or in the actual case on the grills of the PSU?
If you Can.

I also noticed a lot of dust on my CPU fan and case fans. Would it be smart to use a vaccum on those as well?
Yes, wouldnt hurt :)

i've been having a similiar problem with my psu, but it definitely sound like something hitting the fan, but when i push on the bottom right screw, the clicking goes away, and if i move it around form inside the case, it will also go away..this only happens from about 50% - 80% on my fan control knob, and it has done it since it was new, which was only about 2 months ago if that..

Omg, REGULAR vacum cleaners produce static!

Now, If I need to tell you this, then you should kill yourself.

Static + computer parts = Dead computer parts

You need a special Anti Static vacum cleaner to use on computers.

Er, so I guess that's a no on the vaccum idea. I just have a normal house vaccum, not a special anti-static one.

Thanks for bringing that up, I was just going to ask about that after I remembered reading a post from here with a guy saying his computer was killed by the static from the vaccum.

Ok, I tired sucking out any dust that was in there with a vaccum and still no luck. The PSU still clicks, is there any other way of fixing it that someone knows of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom