Status
Not open for further replies.

Brtnboarder495

Daemon Poster
My cousin has an emachines in the T series with these specs

Celeron 2.5ghz
512mb PC2100
Intel GMA 845 (with AGP slot)

It also has a weak PSU, of some low wattage I don't know.

My first question is, would adding a 6600GT, an Antec 450w PSU and an additional stick of 512 PC2100 memory be a waste of money?

Would it be a better idea to hook up an all new motherboard, CPU, memory and PCI-e 6800GS?

I'm worried because I'm afraid that the Celeron 2.5ghz is too weak to flow with the 6600GT and 1 gig of PC2100 memory. Also, is it possible to take out the 512 PC2100 memory and put in PC3200 memory, would it run?

Also, since the computer has already been used and turned on, what precautions must I take when working within the case, so that I don't electracute myself.

If you had the model number I could look up its specs.

But, as it stands, i doubt the PSU in it would handle the 6600GT. Putting it the new PSU would definately be needed. The additional RAM wouldn't hurt either.

Going for a new mobo, etc, is a viable option. You'd still need a better PSU. WHile you're at it, go ahead and get a new case as well, since th eonly thing you are keeping is the hard drive.

You do know that you'll have to reinstall Windows if he gets a new mobo, right?

*sigh*

Well that's a waste then I suppose. Yea I really wish they went AMD when purchasing, it probably would of been an Athlon 64 3000+ :-\

Thanks guys.

Turns out that emachines are good upgradeable comps, so I may stick with it. I'm going to find out what the mobo capabilities are, to see if I can upgrade to at least a Pentium 4 CPU. Hopefully I can get the memory speed up to PC3200 if possible. At least it's gotta have an AGP slot if not a PCI-express one.

Yea, it is upgradable. It would be better to get a new motherboard and so forth though (the one stick of RAM could be salvaged along with cd drives and hard drives). This would enable you to use newer processors (Athlon 64 or Pentium 4), and you would then be able to use PCI-Express, which allows for much more bandwidth, creating a much better gaming experience. In addition, I would agree that the computer does not probably have a strong enough power supply to handle the 6600. If you want to upgrade, there are ways to save money and make it relatively cheap, and it would offer you more performance in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom