Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshTheRiffer

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I have just got a new PC for Xmas and i can't get my head around the specs of the graphics cards. All i know is my computer takes PCI cards and i know that PCI express are better than standard PCI, what i don't know is why. It also has on board grahics but apperntly they are not sufficient to run games and high spec programmes.

Could any of you give me some info on them to help me understand, or maybe even some brands to look out for?

Thanks,

Ash

well the 2 big graphics cards are ATI and GEFORCE. i myself have a geforce and love it. pci express is better than pci by far... if you have a pci express slot.. use it. otherwise you should use agp. from what i hear... nobody uses pci for graphics cards anymore. the Geforce models that are good enough for todays gaming are the 6600, 6800, and 7800. the 7800 will get you through anygame.. while the 6600 is getting older and will give less performance. these cards also have letters at the end of the number like GS or GT. GT is better than GS. i dont know much about the ATI cards so maybe someone else can help you out. most of these cards are made for pci express. if you have alot of money to spend.. i suggest the 7800 series.. either the GT or GTX (they are pretty much the best out right now) will work fine. ooo yea.. the integrated graphics usually cannot run many games

Actually it's ATI and Nvidia. And if your stuck with PCI, your options are pretty limited. ****, even AGP is becoming ancient.

If your motherboard has PCI graphics, then your basically screwed (to put it short and simple). The best thing to do would be to upgrade the motherboard to a PCI-express complaint one, and trasnfer your old components (if still useable) to it and then buy a new PCI-express 6600GT or 6800GS.

hrm what kind of computer did you get?? cuz i've noticed alot of computers come with pci express nowadays.... and my onboard graphics card can handle plenty for me.. its a 256 mbram on board ati express 200, runs games fine, well bf2 on low... cs source all the way, but no AA

Brtnboarder495 said:
****, even AGP is becoming ancient.

*Covers ear with hands* *repeats aloud,* "I can't hear you! I can't hear you! I can't hear you!"

Don't take offence to this, but I don't think you'll be able to dismantle all your pc's hardware, uninstall the cpu chip, screw off every single peice from your case to install a new motherboard. I'm thinking that you have the slightest clue as to what kind of slots you have. I have never seen a "new" (as you put it) computer that doesn't come with either an AGP or PCI-E slot. I say get someone that is tech savy to open up your computer and take a look at it to determine what kind of slots you have.

And on the record, AGP will never die! Dam you, you PCI-E sluts!! ;)

If you have a PCI slot your best option is the PNY fx-5500 128mb.
Also there is a 256mb version of that card but its almost useless to get it, since there would be minimal differance.
Oh yeah to the guy who said that agp will never die, well I guess youll be playing some old games in the future since future games are going to be more demanding than your (stoneage card) OCed or not.

I bet it's PCIe that he has, in which case he's good

So what is the budget you'd like to stay at or around on the purchase of a video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom