Budget OC'er Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
I plan on having this built and ready by the beginning of summer, maybe if I can get a few extra hours at work perhaps by march break :D

Basically, its a 754 system, DONT GET ANGRY AT ME!!! Well, not yet anyways, let me finish lol.

Case choices so far:
I'm pretty sure I wanna go with the Antec Super Lanboy and throw an OCZ Modstream in there. I was looking at that Nikao Net 450Watt powersupply for half the cost of the modstream. It looks pretty cool I just can't find any reviews on it from Xbit labs or Anandtech so I don't know if I wanna go for it.

Okay, so this is whats going to be in it.

DFI Lanparty 250GB UT s754 motherboard
250gb sata harddrive
dvd burner/dvd rom/floppy drive yada yada
Zalman CNPS7000B with the LED light (This is the AlCu model)
Theres an AGP8x slot, I just dont know what to put in it

Alright, so I got a few questions. Firstly, I dont know which processor to put in it. It's obviously going to be a sempron processor. I dont know what to get. First things first, its going to be a 64-bit palermo core sempron. So far I'm leaning towards the 3100+ but the 3400+ looks pretty good too. They're apparantly amazing overclockers which is why I chose this build.

The lanparty's chipset is a nforce3 250Gb, it is covered by a passive heatsink. I'm assuming I'm going to be running a bit more voltage through it then normal because of the overclock, so will this be a problem since it has no fan?

And lastly, the video card. I believe the 6800GS is comiing out soon in AGP form, or was it the 7800GS. If nothing interesting comes out I might consider a 6800LE or a 6600GT or perhaps something along those lines.

the 6800GS is already out and its not "set in stone" yet about the 7800GS agp but it will definately be PCI-E

Well I mean, will the build work? Anyone have any experiance with Nikao, mainly their power supplies? what about the lanparty ut 250gb?

i dont now about nikao PSU's i've never even heard of them. i would go antec or OCZ powerstream or madstream for the PSU, and you need something 500w or above if you plan to have a great graphics card and an overclocked CPU. and im not soi sure about the lanparty ut 250gb cause im not finiliar with socket 754 cause im only 14 and got realy into computers last year. and one more thing i would go PCI-E and socket 939 but thats your choice.

This is a bad habit that needs to get taken care of in threads on TF. People post topics and other people respond with, really, useless posts.

I started this topic with the subject of a Sempron socket 754 overclocked machine, not an opteron socket 939 machine.

Its not just this thread, but other threads, especially those which involve people putting set prices (ie, people start threads going I have 100 for a video card, or this much for this, and people reccomend things that are usless) and people taking the topics off task.

Especially those where people compare two video cards, lets say the 6200 and 9550, and someone comes in and goes 6600GT.

Anyways, </rant>

Can anyone gimme some critique on WHAT IM ASKING?

The DFI board is an EXCELLENT Overclocker. But just make sure that if you plan to OC, use an ATI videocard like an X800GTO.

The thing is that the while the DFI mobo is arguably the best Socket 754 OCing motherboard, the nForce 3 chipset has problems with GeForce 6 series GPU's. When people start OC'ing their 6800's and 6600's, they get crazy stuttering in games. Some people already have these problems w/o OCing.

Just google Stuttering 6xxx AGP Nforce 3

So just make sure that if you want to OC your videocard, use a Radeon.

BTW, I guess I got lucky because i don't get any stuttering with my set up. But then again, i don't OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom