Serious Computer Problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CMOS Battery should pop off, it will not damage you motherboard. Its a small lithium coin cell battery no bigger then a quarter. There may be a small clip holding it on, but thats all.

I took off the battery and put it back on. I also reseated my ram. Neither helped. Do you think it could be a power supply maybe? I'm going to go to sleep for the night but will check back in the morning. Thanks for all the responses.

Why would he need to remove the motherboard from his case?

Do you get the first post screen? Does it detect your drives? Or does it literally freeze after stating the BIOS version, etc?

You need to strip the whole system down to a bare minimum. Disconnect the floppy drive, any CD/DVD drives, additional hard drives, remove any modems, network cards, sound cards, etc. Also, unplug any USB/Firewire devices that you may have plugged in, etc.

Basically, all you need to have set up, is the motherboard (with CPU and RAM seated correctly), the main hard drive, and a graphics card. Make sure you have at least your keyboard plugged in (preferabley a PS2 form keyboard). You don't necessarily need your mouse, but I don't think it would hurt.

Once you have your minimal set-up, power the computer up, and keep pressing DEL to enter your BIOS (or your motherboard's equivalent). Once you're in the BIOS, select the option to load default settings. Save the settings, exit the BIOS and reboot. If your machine still isn't getting past POSTing, then your motherboard may have run its course.

Saying that though, you could, with the help of a friend, use their computer to download an update revision for your BIOS (along with its installation utility), transfer it to a floppy disc and see if flashing the BIOS helps. I will warn you though, this is to be done at your OWN risk. If flashing the BIOS goes wrong, the motherboard will be completely void (unless you have a modern Asus motherboard, and-the-like that allows you to get around this).

I hope you get your problem sorted.
TMT.

Ste, I'm not sure what you mean by taking the motherboard out of the case. TMT, I'm not getting any thing from the computer. The monitor just says it is working and to check the video cable and the pc. I will try unhooking everything not needed.

I tried to turn on my computer this morning and it wouldn't turn on. The power supply smells like its burnt out. I guess I'll need to put another one in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom