Install time for Windows 2000 slow or normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sikyon

Solid State Member
I recently built my first computer ever, and it works. However, as I'm attempting to install windows 2000, it installs slowly. I mean... 4 hours slowly. My specs are:

Athlon 64 3700+
A8N-SLi
2x512 Gig Corsair DDR400 Ram
200GB 7200RPM ATA-100 Hard Drive
GeForce 6800GS

Installing sevice pack 4 (from CD, I burned network installation on it) is another one or two hours.

So basically I'm extremly weirded out be the speeds Windows is installing at. After installation the computer is running at 100% in task manager alot of the time, and Cool 'n Quiet is disabled. So I'm wondering if Windows 2000 is supposed to take this long to install, or if there's something horribly wrong with my computer.

I grabed my Win 2000 CD, made 4 boot disks on my other computer, used the boot disks to boot Win 2000 setup on my new computer. After it was installed I installed the Network Service Pack 4 upgrade from a CD (I downloaded it onto my other computer and burned it onto the CD).

I guess it's possible I messed up on hardware installation somewhere but I'm not sure if you could actually install a peice of hardware so it works but works slower... (without say changing the speed of it manually)

i dont know if this helps,

what is your cd-rom drive's speed? 52X?

is the disc faulty? (if so burn a new one)

is your Hard drive busted?

why cant you just use the 2000 cd to do a repair with out the boot ****s?

I didn't realise that I could boot from the CD. Yeah ok.

talldude123 said:
i dont know if this helps,

what is your cd-rom drive's speed? 52X?

is the disc faulty? (if so burn a new one)

is your Hard drive busted?

I have a DVD R/W that has a 40x CD speed.

I don't think the disc is faulty.

How can I test for this? It's brand new so I'm not sure.

So I got out a Windows XP CD and I'm installing that now after reformatting. I'm also writing down the time each step takes but right now the file copy is so slow... the only reason I know it's still going is because the files being copied changes every once so often in the bottom corner. The progress bar hasn't moved in the last 20 minutes from 38%.

boot from cd and install.

try another cd rom if your dvd rw isn't reading it correctly. that's happening a lot these days.

why would you put 2000 on a monster machine like that?

Warez Monster said:
you might be doing a regular format and not a quick...is that right?

Yes, that's right. It takes about an hour, but I would expect it to. Right?

you could put xp 64-bit on your machine, assuming that your processor is 64-bit...

I would assume that an Athlon "64" is 64-bit. Just a thought.

Anyhow I'm looking at BIOS upgrades right now. I've looked about the net abit and found alot of people were having trouble with the A8N-SLI and slow windows install times (ie. 8 hours for XP Pro). The latest BIOS's have apparently been a godsend so I'll try those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom