Problems with Windows 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen

Solid State Member
I have recently installed this OS on the PC I'm using right now, it used to have Win ME, which is probably by far the worst Windows that has ever existed.

The PC runs way better than it used to overall, but I do have one big **** of a problem: I recieve an error message that says "can't find the specified file" when I try to install a program.

Programs I've tried to install:

Adobe Reader
Winzip
W2KSP4 (service pak 4)
Windows installer 3.1
And a few more.

Basically anything that has to be extracted or self-extracts.

Could this be a problem with the temporary folder, or not enough RAM? (128)

I've scanned the hard drive for errors (complete surface scan), ran virus and spyware checks... I have Spyware Doctor and AVG Free antivirus installed on my PC, I don't know if either could be interfering with my PC's performance.

Any help will be appreciated.

when you extract it to a location, can you close that and then go to the location and run it? Also, are you using winzip, winrar?

I just click on the extraction / setup / installation file (whatever the case), so it starts extracting, but it suddenly stops and gives me that message.

I haven't used winzip or winrar because I can't install them either lol

This PC has a very fresh Win2KPro installation.

Warez Monster said:
you might want to do a quick repair with your windows cd

That I haven' tried yet. I'll do that now.

Thank you for the help. I'll post back with results. :)

Warez,

I put the Win2K CD and restarted the PC.

Then I pressed a key to go to the CD menu.

After that it took a few minutes detecting stuff such as drivers, controllers, hard drive etc.

Then it gave me the options of installing Windows or to Repair Windows, so I chose Repair.

After that it gave me the options of repairing with the Repair console or to do an emergency repair. I chose the emergency repair, since I don't know how to use the console (command based)

It actually detected several errors and repaired them.

However, the main problem persists.

I forgot to mention this:

When I try to install Adobe Reader (this program in particular) the error it gives me is:

(first pop up window) --> Unable to launch. Error code: 2
(second pop up window after clicking OK on the first) --> Unable to launch installer. C:\DOCUME~1\(User)\CONFIG~1\Temp\adminstaller.exe
CreateProcess return code: 2

PS: I put (User) just for security reasons. Obviously there's no parenthesis on the original address.

Grrrr.

Warez Monster said:
something went wronf with the install. Do you have XP?

No, and it's out of question to try to install it. This PC has only 128 RAM, and a Celeron processor of no more than 1 GHz.

It would run slow as ****.

Win 2000 is working fine, except for this stupid little problem.

Frozen said:
No, and it's out of question to try to install it. This PC has only 128 RAM, and a Celeron processor of no more than 1 GHz.

It would run slow as ****.

Win 2000 is working fine, except for this stupid little problem.

I would add at least 128-384mb of more ram and install xp.

install winrar. right click the file and select extract here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom