Motherboards????

Status
Not open for further replies.

threemooses

In Runtime
i was just wandering if some of you guys could tell me what to look for in a mother board. ive seen some combos on pricewatch for an x2 for like around 400 and i was just wandering what are the things to look for in a mother board what make some more expensive than others?????

The best Motherboard companies include:
In order from best to worst (in my opinion)
DFI
MSI
ASUS
Abit
Gigabyte

Things to look for that make it more expensive are
Does it support SATA2?
Does it support Athlon X2s?
Does it support SLi? (Not so important)

Other things you should also make sure it does is
Support socket 939
Support DDR400
Have an nForce4 chipset
Support ATX (if you have an ATX case of course)
Support Raid 0,1,0+1
Have onboard audio
Have onboard LAN

Of course from all this you can't determine some things such as how good the board is for overclocking so you should read up some reviews on the board before you buy it

weringo said:
The best Motherboard companies include:
In order from best to worst (in my opinion)
DFI
MSI
ASUS
Abit
Gigabyte

Your incorrect in so many ways.

You cannot categorize motherboards in such a way.

This is a better way.

For overclocking (AMD Only)
DFI
MSI
Abit
ASUS

If you want Reliability and dual BIOS then.
Gigabyte

I assume you made that list from an overclockers stand point. As gigabytes do not overclock well at all.

Yes I did mean from an overclocking point of view and I did say that list of motherboards was my opinion so how can you say my opinion is wrong?

this is a bit off subject but what exacltly is overclocking is that when you can manualy change the speed of the prossesor. and if so isn;t that a bit risky

You guys are forgetting Foxconn and ASRock.

Foxconn is a solid OEM manufacterer. All of their mobo's are solid and backed by a great warranty.

ASRock is very innovative and designs cool products.

so really the things you look for in a motherboard is the compatibility with other ports for stuff like a sata hard drive and pci slots just ports right there is no suck thing as like a slow motherboard that has all the slots and ports.?????????

Correct. You want a motherboard that supports everything that you need. You cant get a mobo that is slow. The quality of the mobo and its BIOS options.

Overclocking is just increasing the speeds of the cpu/gp/RAM above that of factory settings. It not neccesarily risky because cpus have a thermal override where if it gets too hot (which OCing does) it shuts off. The lifespan of something OCed is slightly shorter but that is hardey noticable because the average lifespan of equipment is fairly long.

æArchOAngelæ said:
hows an epox mobo? they pretty reliable and how about overclocking on one?
Ive heard a few people saying they are very good for overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom