6800gs repairable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
Okay so I got an eVGA 6800gs for Christmas, and it arrived damaged. One of the capacitors had fallen off during shipping. Newegg is filing a claim with UPS so I will be getting another card sometime soon. I want to know if I can fix this one though so I don't have to wait and when the new one comes I can have SLI. Here is a pic:

6800gs2hj.jpg

I have tried to solder it back on but the leads on the capacitor are just too short (like 2 or 3mm). Will the card run okay without the capacitor? Can I get a new capacitor somewhere (like Radioshack)? Will someplace be able to fix it for a small fee?

This seems to be the only issue with the card.

I would just wait for the new card, If you have to send back the old one and they see you played around with it they might get mad. :(

I don't have to send it back.... What is UPS going to do with a broken video card?

Yep, which is why I can work on this one.... Enough of this just talk on aim for this sort of stuff....

You should not have messed with it. They will see you have tampered with it and might not take a refund.

Don't try the card without the capacitor; something bad WILL happen.

If they won't take the card back, find the information on the capacitor and try to order it online. It is a easy fix, but you need a fine-tipped soder iron.

Well, by the looks of your soldering you might have soldered a couple traces on the PCB together (I cant say for sure without a closer pic). If thats the case, then I wouldnt put that in your comp at all, as it might damage something. And, no it wont work without that capacitor.

No there aren't any traces there, just outlines.... They don't want it back....

Okay here is the capacitor:

cap1tz.jpg

Any ideas on what kind of capacitor I need to buy?

Its a 5.3 pF capacitor. That means 5.3 picoFarad.
It doesnt look like it has anything that specifies what kind of tolerance it has, but I would go with one that has really low tolerance. Tolerance is a measure of how much that value of capacitance can vary. Likely one less than 1% tolerance should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom