Help! Built Computers Will Power Up But Not Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

klop

Beta member
I have three self-built computers which will power up right now but not post. Two of these computers were working previously, but were bumped and then stopped working. The other is a new computer. I have stripped them down to just a power supply (which has been tested to verify that it works), a motherboard, a CPU, a heatsink, a fan, and the speaker. The system powers up - fans turn on, lights on motherboard turn on, hard drives click if connected- but no post occurs. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

So two of the working computers wee just bumped and stopped working. That sounds like something was just loose inside like the vid card or memory. By not posting do you mean no BIOS ? Have you tried to go into your BIOS and set it to default. Have you used thermal paste on the processor? Maybe a little more info will help. Type pf computers and such. Also if you can reset the BIOS with a jumper or remove the BIOS battery for a a few minutes and put it back in and try it out.

There is no BIOS.

Thermal paste has been added with no success.

I reset the BIOS both with the jumper and by taking the battery out, but still no POST.

Computers:

2 are AMD based
1 is Intel based

1.8 ghz, 1 ghz, and 2.8 ghz respectivly.

The Intel is a p4vga

Both AMD are boards made by Chaintech

What does the monitor screen display?
Do you have a video card?
Check the monitor connector/pins with power off.
If you have a video card....... reseat it.
Reseat your Ram card.

Any change?????

The monitor screen does not display anything. I've tried several different video cards, but none of them seems to have any effect. The pins on the monitor connector are straight. I've also reseated the RAM, but still no POST.

Take out everything but RAM, CPU and Video card. Take motherboard out of Case, and place on something hard. Then try booting.

If it still does this, as in no beeps, no response, just fans spinning, then Take out the RAM, then try rebooting. You should get Beeps indicating no RAM, If you don't, you may have a bad motherboard or CPU.

Note: whenever you touch any part inside a computer, it should be off and you should ground yourself before touching it.

After taking the motherboard out of the case and trying it on something hard with only basics, there are still no beeps and no response.

I think the motherboards and CPUs can't all be bad, especially since some of them are new.

Since there are 3 computer in the exact same condition, I'm guessing it's something I'm doing, not the parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom