Blue screen of death when starting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehelm

Daemon Poster
hi folks

my family's old pc ( for emailing, internet ) is messed up

when i turn it on , it has one beep, and then it has the windows xp loading screen. after the loading screen, the blue screen of death appears, and no matter what i do it wont normally startup. I tried going into the safe mode but in safe mode, after the loading, it still shows the blue screen. reccently i tried running a 3d game on it ( low req game ) , but then it crashed and then the pc rebooted. after the reboot, it started showing blue screens.....weeks before running the game, the pc had random reboots ( suddenly reboot when doing something )

here is the brief specs of the machine

intel p4 1.8ghz
248 MB ram
SiS intergrated graphics

im guessing its overheating becaue of the dust. any assistance would be appreicated.

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

thanks fo the help warez

but my machine doesnt even READ disks

all it does is blue screen of death :(

using the cd to boot is the same as booting without it...no effect at all

"using the cd to boot is the same as booting without it...no effect at all"

So, u can boot from cd.Try to boot from a linux live cd,like knoopix-linux or ubuntu-linux.these os automatically initialises all of the devices.If booting,then it will be best to format ur drive and reinstall XP

oh thanks micheal

i used warez's method and changed the boot order in the bios setup

now its reinstalling windows

thanks everyone for help

bonehelm said:
thanks fo the help warez

but my machine doesnt even READ disks

all it does is blue screen of death :(

using the cd to boot is the same as booting without it...no effect at all

it does read it like you said. make sure its set to boot from it first

ok now i reinstalled windows

but everything is REALLY slow