water pump speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseber1982

Enterprise SCCM\SCOM
I just build my water cooling rig.. reservoir - radiator - chipset - cpu - gpu - gpu -

Should the pump be pumping really fast or slow? I figure that if it pumps slower, it will give the water a chance to get cooler in the radiator, but yet still it will be moving so it wont get any hotter than when it moves fast. Am i right in assuming this?

My pump and fans are powered from a meanwell psu, so i can adjust the pump voltage on it.

thanks

You want a higher pressure pump whenever possible...your idea makes sense to a certain extent but you also have to remember that the longer it takes the water to flow through the radiator, the longer it takes the water to move through every other part of your loop including your waterblocks

Therefore even though your radiator might be working more effectively, the water itself is condensing more heat which negates any added benefits of having a more effective heatercore

Adjusting the pump voltage would really only apply to the 50z where you can overvolt it to increase flow rate...you really don't want to adjust your pump speed IMO especially considering your pump isn't really loud at all

yea i can turn the pump all the way up and not hear it. thanks for the input. Also wouldnt lower pressure cause less leaks if they do occure?

I suppose that is a semi-valid point although the only places you'd have to worry about pressure related leaks would be the space between your tubing and fittings...most watercooling equipment is pressure tested to much higher forces than a 12v pump will ever produce

As for the tubing/fitting connection, this is why you leak test and just run general maintainance every few months

and in water cooling rigs, does the water really get hot enough to expand much? dont know if i should leave a valve on my reservoir open or not for pressure drops. i have a black ice 3 with 3 120s on it

jseber1982 said:
and in water cooling rigs, does the water really get hot enough to expand much? dont know if i should leave a valve on my reservoir open or not for pressure drops. i have a black ice 3 with 3 120s on it

There is not enough pressure to cause any worries your loop. Also leave the pump at full unlees your not into performace. The faster the water moves the more heat will be absorbed from the block and radiator. Good luck with the water!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom