Computer shutting down after 25 minutes of idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really Now

preet2u said:
Disable ur USB in the bios n' see if it still happens

Thats awfull advice.Lets make this system better not worse.
Not everyone knows how to make bios changes.
:amazed:

Yeah, well it seems like we've tried everything but the stupid thing is still shutting down.

Not so good

hm629 said:
I haven't downloaded any screensavers that are 3D accelerated. My screensavers are pretty much the default XP ones.

Temperatures (from BIOS):
CPU Temp: 56 Deg C
System Temp : 27 Deg C
CPU Fan Speed = 2445 RPM (only 1 installed)

Now for startec, the first three devices listed are:
-Computer
-Disk Drives
-Display adapters

How can uninstalling them fix the problem? Not trying to be picky, but those entries look important.
======
It won't .take of the case sides "now"
It's an AMD right ? If it's overclocked,buy a freezer.

Attachments

• y.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 25
Stan .. don't just post msg's for the sake of posting 'em.. Make some sense for once ...

He 's already taken the side panels out .. his temp's are like 47°-48°C ..
atleast read the thread b4 posting.
N' also if he didn't know how to enter the bios ..he would've posted it ..n' someone would have told him how ...

hm629 ..u didn't tell me if u tried disabling the usb in the bios ...

OK, here's the update. Computer is still shutting down after idle. I downloaded a program that can detect my comp temp without going to BIOS and as of now, the temps are:

Board Temperature: 45 C / 113 F
CPU Temperature: 28 C / 82.4 F
Fan speed: 2220 rpm

Those temps look alright to me, so not sure if it's still the overheating issue.

I didn't try to disable the USB cuz I wasn't sure how. But when I checked in the Device Manager, it showed 2 USB controllers with a yellow question mark sign. I disabled both of those instead.

Now that was a useful update ... Since they are highlighted in yellow ..it means they have a problem

Anywayz ..since disableing them in windows hasn't helped ..i suggest u do it in the bios itself ..
Typically ..u need to hit the DEL key right after u just start up the machine... Then in the bios find the USB option n' disable it.

If u still can't figure it out .....post the make/model of ur mobo n' i'll tell u in detail how to do it.

Also ..i'm not sure if the mobo temp is a bit high or not .. Once again...post ur mobo make / model

Anyone else ..any idea's on his mobo temps ??

OK,

I couldn't exactly find the make of the mobo, but the model is SiS-648. I think the make is Syntax (cuz that's whats displayed on the first screen every time I reboot/start my computer).

Oh yeah, I recently reformatted my C: (about a week ago) and did not go through the installation for my mobo. My friend yesterday asked me virtually the same question (the manufacturer, etc.) but I was unable to find it. I do, however, have the CD for my motherboard. Am I required to install my mobo again (using the CD) because I thought the computer would automatically detect and install it?

i only read the original question, skipped reading the replies. hm629 it sounds to me like there is something wrong with power management. instead of standby it shuts down. the reason i think this is because you said you upgraded to winXP.

to me this sounds like you have a very old computer with no advanced power management ACPI or your video card drivers are generic so the ACPI features are missing.

i do not think you have a virus or that your power supply is not supplying enough power to your computer. since video card is old i assume you may not be able to find drivers for it on winXP. i beleive there may be little you can do other than to set these to "never" or "after 5 hours". see attached image:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom