Oc Gpu 7800gtx 512

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomstick666

Daemon Poster
i have evga 7800GTX512 running at 612/1800.
ppl often tells its stupid to OC new GPU.
but it does make difference on f.e.a.r. (and only for f.e.a.r. not really for other games. since all runs great at maxed settings)
it is very stable and no artifacts at all. and my question is, is this bad for the card? is OC gpu shorten its life considerably?
o and whats the max temp that gpu can hundle usually?
thx for the help.
(i have extra 12" fan sitting next to gpu and blowin air directly to the heatsink. it really helps cooling the gpu)

The 7800GTX512 is overvolted to begin with, so it will have a shorter lifespan than the 256mb version even if you don't OC. There is really no point in overclocking it, it's insanely powerful to begin with.

So how much of a difference in lifespan can you expect from a factory overclocked card?

I got mine for pretty cheap, so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned.

003 said:
The 7800GTX512 is overvolted to begin with, so it will have a shorter lifespan than the 256mb version even if you don't OC. There is really no point in overclocking it, it's insanely powerful to begin with.
well...this insanely powerful gpu even lags on fear.
i can run all the other games 1600x1200.
but not fear. i have to run it at 1024x768.
i guess f.e.a.r. graphix is just insane...
o wait, cod2 lags too.. i was expecting that i could run any game on earth at 1600x1200 w this card..
well..not to mention, im extremely happy about this card except for running these 2 games.

boomstick666 said:
o wait, cod2 lags too.. i was expecting that i could run any game on earth at 1600x1200 w this card..
well..not to mention, im extremely happy about this card except for running these 2 games.
Maybe it's your CPU, the 7800GTX 512 can run anything out currently with no lag at 1600x1200

boomstick666 said:
Overclocking will make minimal difference in FEAR. So little that you would probably only notice it if you ran the performance benchmark.

yea well for how fast these video cards are gettings old, you proubly will be upgrading it before its half dead

huh...its weird...i get lag only on fear and cod2.
i cant run it at 1600x1200..every other games run totally smooth.
im on x2 4800+ @ 2.6ghz and stable 1:1 ram ratio.
and i get 3dmark05 @ 10700.
in the performance test on fear, i get no fps less than 40 but in the actual game, it lags. it maybe my monitor...im on mitsubishi 21" CRT.
it goes up to 100Hz on 1600x1200. but im setting it at 85Hz.
any unreal engine game runs great tho. BF2 runs the best.
i noticed that any other game not using unreal engine (like quake engine) somehow flickers even i get good fps. mb just a way those engine works and im on CRT. anybody noticed this? or is it just me..
btw vsync is off and soft shadow is off on fear. and on cod2, it runs super smooth on trilinier, but not on AF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom